ASUS's Z170 series Maximus VIII Extreme is loaded like most ROG Extreme series boards before it. It also matches quite well with both memory kits. The Maximus VIII Extreme was used for Cache/CPU/Memory scaling tests in this guide. The ROG UEFI has some of the most extensive options, and ASUS has two guides for figuring them out. ASUS has a 6700K OC Guide and a ROG Extreme OC Guide.
ASUS's OC Panel II is included with the board and has a plethora of uses. It allows for remote control of the motherboard and CPU through hardware. It does take a few minutes to get used to the menus and layout of the digital panel, but after you get the hang of it things become quite simple. One feature I found useful for extreme overclocking is ASUS's "Retry" button that allows for the reapplication of last settings in the UEFI so if you fail to boot once you can manually control how many times it attempts to boot. If you would like a more in-depth look at the board, the review is here.
ASUS's LLC is quite good, and there are many levels.
BIOS Special OC Profiles
ASUS provides these OC Profiles for their ROG Series boards. They will change the settings in the UEFI so that you can see what ASUS changes with their custom settings and go from there.
ASUS also provides a large number of memory profiles, perhaps the most. First you choose the type of memory ICs present on your sticks then you are taken to a deeper menu with many different profiles for each type of memory IC (not shown).
BIOS Power Savings
ASUS's Turbo, EIST, and C-State options are available on a single page. I wouldn't touch them if you want the CPU frequency to stay at its maximum, instead, just change the power plan in the power options menu located in the control panel in Windows to "High performance".
BIOS PWM Options
ASUS has a wide variety of PWM options including over current protection, switching frequency, spread spectrum, power duty control, phase control, and thermal control. I did not need to expand any of these for normal air or water overclocking, and I don't think you will need to either. However, ASUS's guide specifies how to set these up properly for extreme overclocking with dry ice or LN2.
Apart from ASUS's main software suite with auto overclocking (Dual Intelligent Processors 5), they also offer TurboVCore, which is a lightweight in-Windows OC program. MemTweakIt provides memory timings.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction to Skylake Overclocking]
- Page 2 [Disclaimer and Before You Begin Overclocking]
- Page 3 [Overclocking Flow Chart, Non-K SKUs, BCLK, and Multipliers]
- Page 4 [BCLK, Core, Cache, Memory, and FCLK Scaling]
- Page 5 [Skylake Overclocking Voltages]
- Page 6 [Power Savings and Voltage/Power Analysis]
- Page 7 [The Durability of Intel's 14nm Node]
- Page 8 [Skylake Memory Overclocking: Corsair and Frequency Scaling]
- Page 9 [Skylake Memory Overclocking: G.Skill and Memory Timings]
- Page 10 [ASRock Z170 Overclocking: Z170 OC Formula]
- Page 11 [ASUS Z170 Overclocking: Maximus VIII Extreme]
- Page 12 [EVGA Z170 Overclocking: Z170 Classified 4-Way]
- Page 13 [GIGABYTE Z170 Overclocking: Z170X-SOC Force]
- Page 14 [MSI Z170 Overclocking: Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM EDITION]
- Page 15 [Stability Testing, Delidding, Crashing, and Throttling]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Samsung's Note line isn't dead: Note 8 is coming
- Tekken 7 launches June 2, 2017, has season pass
- Samsung confirms they won't unveil the S8 at MWC 2017
- White Xiaomi Mi MIX will be available very soon
- Samsung confirms faulty batteries caused Note7 fiasco
- Z170X Gamming 5 - Sata Expansion alternatives
- Gigabyte (Business) Partner Questions
- Upgrading to Z270
- headphones not registering on ASUS k501uq
- Black screen GA Z170X ULTRA GAMING BIOS F21 I7 6400 T HELP
- Transcend reveals industrial-grade SuperMLC JetFlash 740 USB flash drive for exceptional performance and endurance
- Light up your gaming with BIOSTAR B250 motherboard series
- MSI the pioneer in VR Gaming crowns winners of VR JAM
- NGE and Twitch partner to bring the Overwatch Winter Premiere Live Finals to PAX Arena at PAX South
- Bayview Labs, Seraph Group and MIT Game Lab announce 'Play Labs' VR/AR/AI Playful Tech Accelerator for MIT students and alumni