Maximum Overclocks and Temperature Testing
Crucial Maximum Overclocks
By increasing the timings to 18-18-18, I was able to get this kit to 2800MHz; however, I also tried lower timings below.
These are the respective maximum frequencies for 16-16-16 and 17-17-17 with the Crucial Kit. There isn't much difference between them. I used VCCSA of +0.35v for the Crucial kit, as well as a DDR voltage of 1.4v.
ADATA Maximum Overclock
At 16-18-18, I was able to get the ADATA kit to the same 3200MHz the G.Skill kit is rated for. I used +0.5v VCCSA, and 1.4v on the DDR voltage.
G.Skill Maximum Overclock
Using G.Skill's XMP timings of 16-16-16-39 CR2, I was able to pull off 3302MHz at 1.4v! I also decided to tighten the timings and see how high I could get, so I used 13-14-15 CR1. Tightening the timings required a voltage bump to 1.5v. VCCSA was at +0.5v for both runs.
I decided to use my new thermal camera to find the maximum temperatures of modules during heavy load. Lowest and highest temperatures of the Crucial kit are depicted here:
I have the camera set to find the lowest and highest temperature points in the frame. Here is the G.Skill kit:
The results are as follows:
It is interesting to note that the Crucial was warmer; however, I expected this result, as the Crucial has memory on both sides of the DIMM. Overall, the temperatures are pretty low, so it looks like DDR4's power saving features are working. I never saw the VPP VRM (which is right near the top of the memory DIMMs) get hotter than the memory ICs.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Test Setup and The Kits]
- Page 3 [Timing, Training, Multiplier, and Density Investigations]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Third 'Cloverfield' film revealed & delayed by 8 months
- John Glenn, the first American to orbit the Earth, dies
- AMD reboots its drivers with Crimson ReLive Edition
- Faraday Future car will have cameras instead of mirrors
- SpaceX's December launch postponed until early January
- Dk-q1 / dk-q1h
- asrock 880g pro3 codes E8>54>19
- ADATA SC660 240GB Portable SSD Review
- Will this Build be Quite, Small and powerfull ?
- Mouse skipping/jumping and audio stuttering
- Bluetooth 5 specification now available, 4x Range, 2x Speed
- Zadak511 reveals SHIELD Series with RGB DDR4 RAM and RGB SSD
- Jonsbo announces QT03A and VR2 cases, and FR-101 fan series
- Cooler Master announces the MasterCase Maker 5T
- be quiet! announces the Dark Base Pro 900 case with tempered glass window side panel