Maximum Overclocks and Temperature Testing
Crucial Maximum Overclocks
By increasing the timings to 18-18-18, I was able to get this kit to 2800MHz; however, I also tried lower timings below.
These are the respective maximum frequencies for 16-16-16 and 17-17-17 with the Crucial Kit. There isn't much difference between them. I used VCCSA of +0.35v for the Crucial kit, as well as a DDR voltage of 1.4v.
ADATA Maximum Overclock
At 16-18-18, I was able to get the ADATA kit to the same 3200MHz the G.Skill kit is rated for. I used +0.5v VCCSA, and 1.4v on the DDR voltage.
G.Skill Maximum Overclock
Using G.Skill's XMP timings of 16-16-16-39 CR2, I was able to pull off 3302MHz at 1.4v! I also decided to tighten the timings and see how high I could get, so I used 13-14-15 CR1. Tightening the timings required a voltage bump to 1.5v. VCCSA was at +0.5v for both runs.
I decided to use my new thermal camera to find the maximum temperatures of modules during heavy load. Lowest and highest temperatures of the Crucial kit are depicted here:
I have the camera set to find the lowest and highest temperature points in the frame. Here is the G.Skill kit:
The results are as follows:
It is interesting to note that the Crucial was warmer; however, I expected this result, as the Crucial has memory on both sides of the DIMM. Overall, the temperatures are pretty low, so it looks like DDR4's power saving features are working. I never saw the VPP VRM (which is right near the top of the memory DIMMs) get hotter than the memory ICs.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Test Setup and The Kits]
- Page 3 [Timing, Training, Multiplier, and Density Investigations]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Dragon Quest Builders FREE demo now available for users
- Black Ops 3 mod tools enter open beta
- Elon Musk wants to colonize Mars
- Wasteland 3 announced, features co-op play
- Pay any price for this 12-course Microsoft Office bundle
- U.2 Kit on Taichi
- Z170X-Gaming 5 - Thunderbolt controller + Intel RST drivers issue.
- Palit GeForce GTX 1070 GameRock Premium Edition Review
- GA-EX58-UD3R Vt-d support
- Seagate IronWolf 10TB NAS HDD Review
- Antec and Razer team up to co-brand a new Mini-ITX gaming chassis
- Samsung Electronics accelerates the NVMe era for consumers with its highest performing 960 PRO and EVO Solid State Drives
- Lighting is in the Aer: NZXT launches Aer RGB, premium LED PWM fans
- Syber Gaming delivers VR and 4K-ready 'C Series' small form factor gaming PC
- HyperX Gears of War gaming headset shipping now