Toshiba is positioning their new RC100 NVMe SSD as "NVMe for everybody". The OCZ RC100 is Toshiba's new mainstream SSD, positioned between the TR200 and the RD400. The 2-lane Toshiba OCZ RC100 is faster than any SATA SSD delivering NVMe goodness for much less money out of pocket than typical 4-lane NVMe SSDs.
The focus of Toshiba's newest is affordability. To accomplish this feat, Toshiba employs PoP (Package on Package) technology to create an entire SSD on a single BGA package.
The drive's controller and 64-layer 3D BiCS TLC flash array are contained on a single package. The RC100's single package design reduces production costs resulting in a more affordable NVMe SSD. To further reduce cost, the Toshiba OCZ RC100 is a DRAM-less design. Toshiba offsets the lack of onboard DRAM by utilizing HMB (Host Memory Buffer) technology.
HMB is a new feature that is built into the latest versions of Windows 10 in-box NVMe driver. HMB allocates a tiny portion (10-38 MiB) of host DRAM to perform SSD functions. This allows the SSD to perform much better than it would without some sort of DRAM support. HMB is baked into Windows 10 version 1709 or newer, so if you are running an older version of Windows 10, you will need to update for HMB functionality.
Toshiba's OCZ RC100 SSD is contained within a single BGA (Ball Grid Array) package. This results in an incredibly compact single sided M.2 SSD that fits onto a 22mm x 42mm (2242) PCB:
Its diminutive size makes the OCZ RC100 perfect for small form factor builds, laptop upgrades, ITX PC's or anywhere else where size is at a premium.
The OCZ RC100's single package 2-lane design is very power efficient. Toshiba claims that the OCZ RC100 only consumes about half the power of typical enthusiast NVMe SSDs, making the RC100 ideal for portable computing applications where battery life is critical.
As mentioned, the Toshiba OCZ RC100 is a 2-lane PCIe device. This means it will not be able to achieve sequential performance that is as high as enthusiast grade 4-lane SSDs. However, that doesn't matter to us one bit. As we've shown on many occasions, sequential performance is essentially meaningless in an operating system environment. What actually matters is how well a drive serves up random performance at low queue depths.
Toshiba's OCZ RC100 Series is available in three capacities: 120GB, 240GB and 480GB
- MTTF: 1 Million Hours
- Warranty: 3-Year Limited Warranty
- SLC caching
- Garbage Collection
Endurance (TBW): 120GB = 60 TB, 240GB = 120 TB, 480GB = 240 TB
MSRP: 120GB = $59.99, 240GB = $79.99, 480GB = $154.99
Availability: June 12th at major retailers.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon`s website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK`s website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada`s website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Capcom sell limited-edition classic Mega Man 2/X cartridges
- Intel increases 905P Optane SSD capacities to 1.5TB
- Soulcalibur VI trailer reveals Raphael, Prelude to Madness
- Delve into madness with new Call of Cthulhu gameplay trailer
- Diablo III for Switch: confirmed no inclusion of Link gear
- DLink HD Wi-Fi Camera 8300LH Review
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Review: No Seriously, Just Buy It
- can not find WIIFI driver
- Qsan XN3002T Two-Bay NAS Review
- Can't connect to the media server on my AC68U
- Kensington Unveils LD5400T Thunderbolt 3 Dual 4K Dock with K-Fob Smart Lock
- Crashbots is coming to Steam on the 9th of October!
- Linksys Launches High Performance, Enterprise-grade Cloud Networking Management For SMB Networks Without Licensing Fees
- BIOSTAR Presents Professional Crypto Mining Motherboards
- Animoca Brands partners with OpenST Limited to develop blockchain-powered games