ASUS has been at the top of the networking market from day one. When they launched their 802.11n lineup, I had the opportunity at that time to review the "Dark Knight" or RT-N66U, I loved that router and only replaced it after the launch of 802.11ac. Today, ASUS has hundreds of routers under their belt and a router for every situation or use case.
For those of you that need raw power to handle tons of wired and wireless devices, the RT-AC5300 or ROG Rapture fits the bill. If you need modest internet over a large estate, Lyra can easily take care of your needs but for most of us a simple single node platform does the trick and late last year, ASUS announced and launched the latest, RT-AC86U.
This latest platform from ASUS has a lot going for it. Its built on the new AiMesh firmware platform allowing you to pair multiple routers together to create a customized "Mesh" Network.
At the heart this platform it offers 750Mbps on the 2.4GHz band and 2167Mbps on the 5GHz band, both bands supporting 1024QAM. To get this signal in and out, the RT-AC86U uses three external antennas, all detachable with SMA connections and one internal antenna rated at 3dBi.
The hardware running this platform is a 1.8GHz dual-core Broadcom 4906, its paired with 512M of memory and 256M of flash. On the radio side, we have two Broadcom SoCs, the 2.4GHz band runs off the 4365E 3x3 and the 5GHz band uses the 4366E 4x4 solution.
MSRP of the ASUS RT-AC86U comes in at $199.99 with a two-year warranty.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The ASUS RT-AC86U AC2900 Wi-Fi Router retails for $XXX at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The ASUS AC2900 WiFi Dual-band Gigabit Wireless Router with 1.8GHz Dual-core Processor and AiProtection Network Security Powered by Trend Micro, AiMesh Whole Home WiFi System Compatible (RT-AC86U) retails for £349.00 at Amazon UK.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Activision: Destiny was tying up our resources
- Activision cut jobs to focus on monetization as well as dev
- Anthem's epic skins cost $8.50 a piece
- Crackdown 3 only exists to sell Game Pass subscriptions
- Apex Legends turning their son transsexual, says parents
- HELP !!!! ASROCK Z77 PRO3 "NON-K OC MENU" disappeared :-(
- Serexin: https://www.ketotoneworld.com/serexin-reviews/
- GeIL Super Luce RGB Sync DDR4-3200 16GB Memory Kit Review
- ASRock Multi-Gigabit Performance: 10GbE/5GbE/2.5G Networking
- New Screenshots for ShaRkPG, Maneater | PC Version to Support NVIDIA Ansel Technology
- The world's first judicial friendship simulator takes to Kickstarter in Supreme Courtship!
- Cupid hits Ring of Elysium with Valentine's Day event
- New Gameplay Video for World-Shaping RTS Bannermen Released
- Nokia launches Cognitive Collaboration Hubs to help operators design 5G networks and create AI-enabled use cases