Plextor is bringing to market a next-gen SATA III SSD powered by Toshiba BiCS 64-layer flash. The M8V is designed as a value-oriented legacy storage device that can deliver MLC like performance on a TLC budget. The M8V will be initially offered in two form factors and three capacities. We don't know if larger capacity points will be offered in the future, but for now, the M8V Series tops out at 512GB.
Plextor has once again teamed up with Silicon Motion for the M8P Series. Powering the M8V is SMI's venerable SM2258 SATA controller. Silicon Motion's 4-channel SM2258 has become a favorite of ours because it is chock full of advanced features and more importantly delivers outstanding performance.
Of all the features listed, Silicon Motion's NANDXtend technology is the most important for TLC SSDs. NANDXtend is SMI's proprietary LDPC (Low Density Parity Check) bit correction technology. This technology is essential for TLC (Triple Level Cell (3-bit)) powered SSDs because it extends the endurance of low P/E cycle flash by as much as 3x over conventional bit correction technologies. With NANDXtend, TLC flash arrays are capable of endurance that is at or near MLC (Multi Level Cell (2-bit)) levels. In addition to LDPC bit correction, the M8V Series the M8V supports RAID Engine (Drive Array Accelerator) and Data shaping (Data management) for enhanced data transfer stability.
Plextor are sticklers for quality control, and like all Plextor SSDs, the M8V is subjected to rigorous inspections from Plextor's world-class advanced SSD testing laboratory thereby ensuring error-free performance for the lifetime of the drive. Plextor's quality control testing simulates a wide range of professional read-write scenarios, verifying that your Plextor SSD will deliver expected performance while remaining error-free under the most rigorous circumstances.
To further enhance your SSD experience, the M8V features PlexNitro SLC (Single Level Cell (1-bit)) buffer technology. PlexNitro, enhances both the performance and endurance of the M8V. The M8V Series also supports three of Plextor's exclusive SSD applications. PlexTurbo (Smart Cache) effectively reduces the number of write access on the SSD resulting in extended service life. PlexCompressor (Smart Compression) automatically compresses files that have not been used for more than 30 days, providing more available storage space. PlexVault provides a secure storage area allowing your private/sensitive data to be hidden from prying eyes. In addition, Plextool, a proprietary SSD Toolbox, provides an easy to use interface to monitor status, update firmware and diagnose the drive for data integrity and security.
Let's get the M8V on the bench and see for ourselves exactly what kind of performance the M8V will deliver.
The 512GB model we have in the lab sports the following specifications:
- Sequential Read: up to 560 MB/s
- Sequential Write: up to 520 MB/s
- Max 4K QD32 Random Read: up to 82,000 IOPS
- Max 4K QD32 Random Write: up to 81,000 IOPS
- Endurance: 280 TBW
- MTTF: 1.5 Million Hours
- Warranty: 3-Year Limited Warranty
- Garbage Collection
- Software: Plextool SSD Toolbox
Availability: March 2018
MSRP at 512GB = $148
Plextor's M8V is available in 128GB, 256GB and 512GB capacities. The M8V is available in the standard 2.5" x 7mm form factor as well as the M.2x2280 form factor.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The Plextor M8V 512GB SATA III SSD retails for $XXX at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The Plextor M8V 512GB SATA III SSD retails for £XXX at Amazon UK.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Every character trailer for Soulcalibur VI/combat tutorial
- Job J Stauffer reveals his experience working at Rockstar
- Fox flies Starlink: Battle for Atlas onto Nintendo Switch
- Ubisoft release For Honor 'Marching Fire' gameplay trailer
- Spider-Man 'The Heist' DLC adds 3 suits, October 23rd launch
- Inland Processional 3D NAND M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe Gen 3 Review
- ASRock A320M-DGS + Ryzen 5 2600 budget upgrade with older video card?
- Default Netgear Wireless WG111 Issue
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Review: The Perfect Card For 1440p
- Computer will not turn on.
- OnDeck Launches ODX for Banks
- Adobe Announces Next Generation of Creative Cloud at MAX 2018
- Sharkoon PURE STEEL: Minimalist PC Case for High-End Hardware
- Xara Designer Pro X v16 has been released
- Endless Road: Indie roguelite card game now on Steam