In 2018, Phison is looking to displace SATA even further. How does an M.2 NVMe SSD that offers at least double the performance of SATA for the same price sound to you? The E8 isn't designed to compete for any performance crown, it is designed compete for the value crown. E8 powered SSDs will deliver up to 3x the performance of typical SATA SSDs for around the same cost. Even though the E8 is only a Gen 3 x2-lane 4-channel controller that is very power efficient, it packs a big punch. In fact, the E8 cranks out enough performance to take on Intel's popular 600p series of value SSDs, and Western Digital's Black series, even though they are both Gen 3x 4-lane PCIe SSDs.
We expect to see E8 powered SSDs hitting the market very soon under the usual brand names like MyDigitalDiscount, Corsair, Patriot, Kingston and many others. Additionally, the value proposition put forth by E8 controlled SSDs is sure to catch the eye of OEM's and we expect to see a large volume of E8 powered SSDs making their way into prebuilt systems and laptops.
Phison is close partners with Toshiba and we expect to see most if not all E8 powered SSDs sporting Toshiba BiCS 3 flash arrays. Toshiba BiCS 3 is their third generation 64-layer 3D NAND Flash technology. BiCS will only come in TLC, there are no plans for MLC variants.
Of the features listed above, the feature that interests us most is the faster 1-shot programming called "Full Sequence". With Full Sequence programming, three pages can be programmed at the same time resulting in fewer steps. Full Sequence programming delivers better performance and at the same time reduces power consumption. Toshiba BiCS flash plus Phison's low cost E8 NVMe Controller sounds like a winning combination to us.
Phison was kind enough to send over an E8 powered SSD for a TweakTown preview. We will be putting the E8 reference drive up against three Gen3 x4 NVMe drives and a SATA SSD to give us some insight into what we can expect from Phison's newest.
Phison E8 Gen 3 x2 4-channel NVMe controller:
- Sequential Read: up to 1,600 MB/s
- Sequential Write: up to 1,100 MB/s
- Max 4K Random Read Speed: up to 280K IOPS
- Max 4K Random Write Speed: up to 225K IOPS
- Endurance: per reseller
- MTBF: per reseller
- Warranty: per reseller
- End-to-End Data Path Protection
- Garbage Collection
Pricing: Per reseller. Availability: Early 2018
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon`s website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK`s website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada`s website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- ONRUSH gameplay trailer reveals new game modes
- YouTube star John 'TotalBiscuit' Bain has died age 33
- God of War reaches a massive 5 million units sold
- The Wolf Among Us Season Two hit with 2019 delay
- Nintendo's '2nd Unit Set' for the Switch is dockless, $230
- 2 New Half-Life 2 Developers videos
- the best value, budget upgrade for me
- best value budget upgrade path
- Buy 3 Pieces Samsung Galaxy S9 SM-G960UZKAXAA 128GB $1.422
- X58a-ud5 rev 1.0 Bios with VT-d support
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit