This year is going to be all about 64-layer 3D TLC flash. Intel, Micron, Samsung, SanDisk, and Toshiba are all set to start shipping 64-layer 3D flash products. 64-layer 3D TLC flash promises higher density, better performance, lower power consumption and lower cost per gigabyte than current 32 and 48-layer 3D flash. Intel's 64-layer 256Gbit 3-bit 3D flash is again built on proven floating gate architecture and manufacturing process. Floating gate technology gives Intel 3D flash the industry's highest areal density available today and CMOS under array keeps the footprint compact.
Intel's SSD 5-Series 545s SATA III SSD is the first 64-layer 3D TLC SSD that has completed our testing regimen, and we are very impressed.
Intel has again teamed up with Silicon Motion for the SSD 545s. The SSD 545s, like the 540s that it is replacing, is powered by a 4-channel Silicon Motion controller. The SSD 540s is powered by a Silicon Motion SM2258 controller; a controller that we are particularly fond of, and we believe that the SM2259 that powers the SSD 5 545s is based on the SM2258 with some minor modifications. As Intel has done many times in the past, they are writing their own custom firmware to power the SMI 2259 controller. This gives Intel the flexibility to tune the SDD 5 545s' performance to their liking.
Intel is marketing their new SSD 5 545s as an affordable HDD replacement that delivers superior performance, leading-edge reliability, lower power consumption and broad compatibility - spend less time waiting & more time doing. Intel has the industry's most rigorous testing standards and is backing the SSD 5 545s with a robust 5-year warranty. To make transitioning to a super-fast Intel SSD 5 545s easy for beginners and experienced users alike, the SSD 5 545s is compatible with Intel's free and easy to use Intel Data Migration Software.
Let's take a quick look at the SSD 5 545s 512GB factory specifications and then dive deep into benchmarking Intel's second-generation 3D TLC flash.
Intel SSD 5-Series 545s 512GB SATA III SSD:
- Sequential Read: up to 550 MB/s
- Sequential Write: up to 500 MB/s
- Max 4K Random Read Speed: up to 75,000 IOPS
- Max 4K Random Write Speed: up to 85,000 IOPS
- Endurance: 288TB
- MTBF: 1.6 Million Hours
- Warranty: 5-Year Limited Warranty
- Avg. Active Power Consumption: 4.5W
- Idle Active Power Consumption: <50mW
- Hardware-level End-to-End Data Path Protection
- Garbage Collection
- Software: SSD Toolbox, Migration Software
MSRP: $179.00 Availability: Available at Newegg as you read this.
The SSD 5 545s 512GB pairs Silicon Motion's SM2259 controller with Intel 256Gbit 64-layer 3D TLC (Triple-Level-Cell) flash in BGA flash packages. BGA packaged flash is the good stuff, it is capable of higher bus speeds than TSOP packaged flash. Table caching is handled by a single Sk Hynix LPDDR3 DRAM cache package with a capacity of 1MB to 1GB DRAM to NAND ratio.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon`s website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK`s website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada`s website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Samsung to push Android 8.0 Oreo to Galaxy S8/S8+ in January
- NVIDIA TITAN V: 82MH/s when overclocked, RX Vega 64: 37MH/s
- Animal Crossing Pocket Camp earns $17 million to date
- Nintendo to team up with more mobile games makers
- Street Fighter 30th anniversary collection includes 12 games
- OWC Mercury Helios 3 Thunderbolt 3 Enclosure Review
- Mionix Wei Ice Cream Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Buy Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus New 64GB SM-G955UZKAXAA $824
- Unable to use all 3 M.2's for RAID 0
- AMD Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition Drivers Detailed
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series