As we explained and demonstrated Ad nauseam throughout the entirety of this review, it's all about 4K random read performance at QD1-2 in an OS environment. This is the exact opposite of what people always focus on - sequential performance. We've been preaching this for years, but until now we didn't have something to really drive this fact home in the minds of our readers.
Sequential performance matters if you are transferring gigantic files from one SSD to another, but that's about the extent of the importance of sequential read/write. We are of the opinion that 99% of people that utilize solid state storage will be doing so with the system (OS) disk, where sequential performance is almost meaningless. Our message - quit looking at sequential performance and instead focus on low queue depth random read performance.
Who would have thought that just by adding a little 32GB Optane Memory module to cache an HDD you could actually get better system response in most scenarios than you will get from the best flash-based SSD? In reality, it is the most effective low cost storage solution devised to date. Optane Memory is changing the game, in a way that is likely to breathe new life (at least for few years) into the quickly fading mechanical HDD industry.
While we have found a reason not to hate HDD caching anymore, Optane Memory is so much more to us as enthusiasts. This tiny 32GB SSD has given us a glimpse into the near future, the new normal, where system performance is an order of magnitude better than anything we've experienced to date. And, keep in mind that for even better system performance you can use your Optane Memory module to accelerate SATA-based SSDs. We regret not having the time to test an Optane + SATA SSD configuration in time for this review, but we will do so in the near future.
Intel has been developing 3D XPoint for the past ten years, with a vision in mind to revolutionize computing as a whole and now that day is upon us, and we couldn't be more impressed with the outcome. Undoubtedly, other storage giants will follow suit with their own persistent memory technology, but as it stands today, Intel is the King of non-volatile storage performance.
Intel's 32GB Optane Memory Module SSD is TweakTown recommended.
- Low QD Random Performance
- Low cost
- Best OS Performance
- Low Capacity
Product Summary Breakdown
|Overall TweakTown Rating||100%|
The Bottom Line: You need this - it is as simple as that. Editor's Note: This is the first product to ever get a completely perfect 100 TweakTown score!
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon`s website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK`s website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada`s website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Drive Specifications, Pricing & Availability]
- Page 2 [Drive Details]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup, Optane Memory Setup & Boot Videos]
- Page 4 [Synthetic Benchmarks - ATTO & Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 5 [Synthetic Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark & AS SSD]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Vantage, PCMark 7, PCMark 8 & SYSmark 2014 SE]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks (Secondary) - Max IOPS & Disk Response]
- Page 8 [Maxed-Out Performance (MOP)]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Warcraft III updated, includes 16:9 support and HEAPS MORE
- NVIDIA to launch new GeForce GTX series during GTC 2018
- Final Fantasy XV DLC continues into 2019
- IBM's Watson AI might be coming to a game near you
- Sonic movie set for 2019
- Enermax T.B. RGB, RGB Lighting 3 Fan Pack Review
- GIGABYTE Z370 Aorus Gaming K3 (Intel Z370) Motherboard
- Amped Wireless Titan AC1900 Wireless Router Review
- Reeven NAIA 240 CPU Cooler Review
- For Sale 5 Pieces Apple iPhone 8 64GB Brand New Unlocked $2,795
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit