Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing
It seems that this case from Antec arrived at the market right near the middle of last year, and for some reason, we are just getting our hands-on this mid-tower chassis. The idea behind this design is to deliver an affordable gaming chassis solution to the masses, yet departing from the plainer box style most are sticking with. This new design sports bold accents, body lines, and styling that gives this chassis a very aggressive look. That being said, even with affordability in mind, Antec is offering a bit more than a dressed up box, but rather trying to raise the feature set in what we expect in such designs all at the same time.
Over the years, we have seen where Antec has come from in their beginnings, and if reviewing these cases today, let's just say we would realize that we had boarded the way-back machine. The reason we bring this up, is that as of late, we have had a mix of cases sporting older components, some with wire management, some without, but on the same token, we have seen stunning pieces of art like with their S10. Knowing this is an affordable solution, and a mid-tower, we just hope that we are not again visiting a chassis that harkens back to cases of years gone by, leaving us without much exciting to say.
While this GX505 Window SC mid-tower chassis isn't exactly brand new, most companies depend on the budget-friendly designs to pay the bills. This means that while they may not be the most exciting for enthusiasts to look at, for the entry-level gamers out there, system builders, or even brick and mortar PC shops, it is a case such as this that is more likely to be bought than say the S10 we mentioned earlier. Even if this market does not pertain to you specifically, it is interesting to see what Antec has going on in other realms of the market. That being said, we should move into the specifications, and see just what this Antec GX 505 Window SC mid-tower chassis has to offer.
In the chart provided by Antec, we see that the GX505 Window chassis is 481mm deep, 205mm wide, 469mm tall, and way down the list we see the 10.8-pound weight of it. There is also no mention of the materials used, but we do know that the chassis is made of steel, it is painted black inside and out, and there are also bits of the chassis made from black ABS plastic. The next bits about the chassis that are listed takes us into the video card length of 380mm, but not for all slots. As for water cooling support, it mentions a pair of grommets at the back for external cooling, but no mention for the interior. We also see that this is a mid-tower design if the measurements and our previous statements did not clarify that for you already.
We then move into the front I/O panel where we are offered two USB 3.0 ports, HD Audio jacks, a fan controller, and the power and reset buttons. As for drive bays, the GX505 offers a pair of tool-free 5.25" bays at the top of the case. Lower in the front of this case, there is room for four 3.5" drives, and on top of that rack, there is a pair of rails to support a single 2.5" drive as well. Along with supporting ATX, Micro-ATX, or Mini-ITX motherboards, the main compartment will also support CPU air coolers up to 158mm in height. There are also mentions of the enlarged CPU cutout, mention of the right side panel window, and that the GX505 delivers seven expansion slots in the back of the chassis.
If you look at the major players for pricing on this chassis, you will be shocked to see what Newegg and Amazon have this chassis listed for. When we ventured to Newegg, we were greeted with a $126.71 price, and at Amazon, it was better, but at $99.99, it is still asking way too much for this chassis. Of course, when verifying pricing with Antec, we see that the MSRP is set at $59.99, which is much more reasonable. There are limited places close to us, but we did find it at Fry's at the MSRP so that it can be had at an affordable price, you just have to hunt for it. The affordable chassis segment is another area that is flooded with choices, so let's get down to brass tacks and see if Antec and their GX505 Window SC mid-tower chassis is what you are after.
Chad's Chassis Test System Specifications
- Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD4-B3
- CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K (buy from Amazon)
- Cooler: Corsair H80i GT (buy from Amazon)
- Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL6D-4GBXH
- Video Card: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 970 AMP. Extreme Edition (buy from Amazon)
- Storage: SuperSpeed 128GB SSD
- Power Supply: SilverStone SST-ST85F-G (buy from Amazon)
- OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (buy from Amazon)
PRICING: You can find the Antec GX505 Window SC Mid-Tower Chassis for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The Antec GX505 Window SC Mid-Tower Chassis retails for $100 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The Antec GX505 Window SC Mid-Tower Chassis retails for £46 at Amazon UK.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging]
- Page 3 [Antec GX505 Window SC Mid-Tower Chassis]
- Page 4 [Inside the GX505 Window SC]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Spyro Reiginited Trilogy may get subtitles added soon
- Piccolo/Cell/Kenshin and Shishio added to Jump Force roster
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate post-launch rumor, more content?
- Switch SMITE scheduled for Jan 24th launch, pre-orders live
- Amazon depleted of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate stock
- Narrow bezel on a metallic chassis MSI PS42 14 Thin & Light Laptop Review
- is a supplement this is
- 'Koala Stoner Noir' Free Demo Released Today. Full Game Updated With New Map Location And Cinema Experience
- TRENDnet launches long-range PoE+ switches
- ADATA Launches Ultimate SU630 3D QLC NAND SSD
- Razer announces the BlackWidow Lite
- ASUS ROG Announces ROG Strix Radeon RX 590 Graphics Card