My first encounter with ASRock's Beebox was roughly a year ago. The Beebox I tested carried an Intel N3000 and passive cooling, so it didn't make any noise whatsoever, but it wasn't as quick as I had hoped. The N3000 is great for a streaming machine and can be used for simple tasks, but you will notice the sluggish nature of the CPU. ASRock went back to the drawing board, this time, armed with Intel's latest Skylake-U CPUs with TDPs in the 15W range. Compared to the 4W Celeron N3000, the i3-6100U and i5-6200U put out roughly four times more heat, but also provide a significant performance boost. ASRock went ahead and added a fan and the latest in platform technologies to produce the new Beebox-S series.
The Beebox-S is only 0.6L, which is smaller than some other NUCs, and even with the higher TDP CPU, the new Beebox-S is the same size as the original. The units are offered either with an i3-6100U or an i5-6200U, they are targeted at many different market segments. The Beebox-S even has two HDMI ports each capable of 4K output, making it good for digital signage or streaming. Its small form factor, relatively quick CPU, and storage options also make it great for home or business users. Let's take a look at what this little machine can do.
Our version uses the i5-6200U. The unit supports DDR4 SO-DIMMs, and you can install up to 32GB of RAM. It not only has a x4 PCI-E 3.0 M.2 slot for the latest in NVMe storage devices but also a standard SATA6Gb/s port for a 2.5" drive. The unit has a 1Gbit LAN, Wireless AC/BT4, and even USB 3.1 type-C. There are two HDMI ports (one is HDMI 2.0). The normal HDMI port supports up to 4K at 30Hz while the HDMI 2.0 port supports up to 4K at 60Hz. The unit is 110mm in width, 118.5mm in length, and 46mm in height.
The ASRock informed us that the MSRP will be roughly $319 for this version.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and System]
- Page 3 [Teardown of the Beebox-S]
- Page 4 [BIOS]
- Page 5 [Test Setup and Benchmarks]
- Page 6 [Temperature and Power Consumption]
- Page 7 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Ex Nintendo CEO Reggie Fils-Aime blessed with retiring gifts
- Mortal Kombat 11 Switch gameplay trailer shows story mode
- Mortal Kombat 11 - Shao Kahn can taunt players 'You Suck!'
- Mortal Kombat 11 full roster revealed, 25 playable fighters
- Dennis Smith Jr. goes Mortal Kombat with Sub-Zero sneakers
- Synology DS1019 NAS Review
- BIOS settings CPU Fatal1ty X470 Gaming K4, x470
- Cougar Vortex RGB HPB 120 PWM HDB Cooling Kit Review
- Reolink RLC-422 PoE Dome Camera Review
- who manufactures my universal serial bus controller
- Freeze Your Opponents On The Hardwood
- You Have Been Summoned to the Summoners War: Tour of Americas
- Egg-splosive Fun Cracks Open In Entropia Universe's Easter Mayhem 2019
- All content of Fishing Planet in a Premium Edition for consoles!
- Voiceover Legends And Console-Inspired Graphics Meet For Epic Battle In Overhit