This is it. This is the video card that will be sold in huge quantities, for gamers of all shapes and sizes. It's a big opening line, but holy hell is the GeForce GTX 1070 one of the best video cards ever released. We reviewed the GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition variant, which is a little better than the stock $379 cards, with it being priced at $449. While the higher-end GTX 1080 wins out with brute specs including GDDR5X memory that's clocked at 10GHz, and while the GTX 1070 isn't as beefy as its big brother, it can swing at the same weight and size, beating nearly everything else we tested in most games, except for the GTX 1080.
All of this arrives in a card priced at a pretty unbelievable $449. I put a full stop there because it deserves us to take a break and just really let that $449 price soak in. The GeForce GTX 1070 is offering Titan X performance at $449, with the Titan X still priced at $999. That's beyond impressive. Consider that the GTX 970 is still $295-$320 on Amazon right now, and that's a card with only 4GB of RAM, while the new GTX 1080 rolls with 8GB of RAM, a much better framebuffer for 4K and beyond gaming, as well as VR.
NVIDIA can offer the GeForce GTX 1070 at only $449 for some freakish reason, kind of shooting themselves in the foot because it's so cheap; I'm going to really have a hard time recommending people buy the GTX 1080. By the time you get to this point of the introduction, you've most likely already clicked through to the benchmarks, and that's fine. The GeForce GTX 1070 is worthy of this praise, as it's now one of the hardest video cards I've ever reviewed.
The GeForce GTX 1070 essentially makes the GTX 970, GTX 980, GTX 980 Ti, and even the Titan X all irrelevant. You're not going to go out and buy any of those cards with the GTX 1070 on the market, not at this price. It also makes most of AMD's mid-range and enthusiast cards even more irrelevant, with the R9 390, R9 390X, R9 Nano, R9 Fury, and R9 Fury X all not worth your money because the GTX 1070 is just so freakin' impressive.
Irrelevant Is A Strong Word Though, Anthony...
Yes, I'm aware of that. But I'm also not like other reviewers. I'm going to throw it in your face: NVIDIA has just thrown out one of its WMDs at AMD in the form of the GeForce GTX 1070. As we get deeper into the review, you'll find that the GTX 1070 is a much more exciting card than the GTX 1080 for more than one reason.
NVIDIA is selling the GTX 1080 Founders Edition for $699, while the GTX 1070 Founders Edition is $449. This is a 35.7% price difference, but the performance isn't 35.7% less... it's actually very close, so it makes me ask: why would you buy the GTX 1080 over the GTX 1070 if the GTX 1070 offers bonkers price/performance? This is a question I can't answer, so if anyone asks me from here on out 'which video card should I buy, Anthony?' I'm going to answer: 'the GTX 1070, without a doubt.'
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [16nm FinFET, But No GDDR5X - And That's Fine]
- Page 3 [Detailed Look & Specifications]
- Page 4 [Testing Methodology & Test Setup Configuration]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Synthetic]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks @ 1080p]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks @ 1440p]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks @ 4K]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - DX12, VR & OC Adventures]
- Page 10 [Power, Temperature & Noise]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Google informs us which Android Wear watches will get Oreo
- Keylogger found planted on over 460 HP laptops
- Epic Games poach Boss Key co-founder for 'secret project'
- Naughty Dogs Uncharted series hits new record high in sales
- Marvel writer hired for Netflix's Witcher show
- AMD Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition Drivers Detailed
- 2 GPU on AB350 Gaming K4
- Mantiz Venus MZ-02 Thunderbolt 3 eGPU Enclosure Review
- Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 - Which M.2 socket should I use
- MSI Z170A PC Mate Unlock NVRAM
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series