ASRock is a company focused on bringing performance motherboards to the market, and with the Intel X99 chipset, they have done just that. I previously reviewed many of ASRock's X99 offerings and today I take a look at one of their "second" generation X99 motherboards with some more refined features. Although this is one of two iterations of the X99 OC Formula, this one features the X Series OC Socket, and USB 3.1.
ASRock's OC Formula lineup has made huge strides in the past few years towards providing overclockers with the best performance and overclocking headroom. The original X99 OC Formula I tested a while ago performed really well, but it lacked the special socket with extra pins that enables higher cache and memory overclocking potential.
The X99 OC Formula/3.1 has the X Series OC socket which should help boost cache and memory overclocking potential. It has also been a long time since I used the original X99 OC Formula, and I am excited to see what ASRock has improved upon, so let's begin!
These days overclocking motherboards are targeted towards two types of buyers; those who will really overclock/benchmark and those who want the potential in case they decide to take advantage of the board later down the road. For the former, extra connectivity isn't required, but the latter they might like some extra connectivity since this will probably be their 24/7 motherboard. For those guys, ASRock has provided dual GBit NICs, USB 3.1 on the IO Panel and on an extra A+A type card, two M.2 slots, mPCIe slot, Purity 2 Audio, and SATA Express.
We found the ASRock X99 OC Formula/3.1 listed on Newegg at the time of writing for a reasonable $349.99 plus an extra $3.99 for shipping. This puts it $50 more expensive than the older ASRock X99 OC Formula model (also price sourced from Newegg at the time of writing), but as mentioned, you do get the X Series OC Socket and USB 3.1 and some other changes.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and the X99 OC Formula/3.1]
- Page 3 [X99 OC Formula/3.1 Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [X99 OC Formula/3.1 Circuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Temperature and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Metro Exodus has transforming guns
- Anthem is finalized and ready for shipment
- Crytek making new AAA online game
- Resident Evil 2 Remake launch imminent, NEW trailer release
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, 5th best selling game for 2018
- Fractal Design Meshify S2 Black Dark TG Mid-Tower Review
- Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD Review - The 96-Layer Refresh
- best 470 board for Windows 7?????????
- Can't connect to my Wifi network
- Need advice and build help
- Star Trek Online Resurrects Captain Killy For Mirror Of Discovery
- 'Goat Simulator: The GOATY' Crashes Onto Switch today!
- AZZ Inc. Issues Fiscal Year 2020 Guidance; Revenue of $950 - $1,030 million and Earnings per Share of $2.25 - $2.75
- The mobile communication antenna market will register a CAGR of over 6% by 2023
- Tractica and ConnecTechAsia Team Up with Knowledge Partnership