The system is already pre-built; all the end-user needs to do is install an operating system. I chose to install Windows 8.1 Pro. Since I overclocked the system, I decided to also run the benchmarks with the VisionX 471D overclocked.
There are two caveats with overclocking this HTPC. First, while the system is almost silent the entire time while at stock, during overclocking, the fan is continuously blowing at full speed. Second, the memory clock is downgraded when the 4GHz overclocking profile is engaged because of how the BLCK multipliers work and DRAM limitations of the system, which is why the AIDA Memory benchmark suffers when the system is OCed.
CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks
AIDA64 AES and HASH
PCMark8 Home Test
PCMark8 Work Test
UNIGINE Heaven 4.0
Lost Planet 2 DX11
Resident Evil 6
The ASRock VisionX 471D is really fast compared to the SFF PCs in the charts. This is partially due to the fact that it's a mix between a gaming notebook and a desktop. Not only does it have a quad-core processor with hyper-threading, which is basically double the cores and threads of the top SFF PC in the charts, but it also carries 8GB of DDR3 and a dedicated video card, an M270X.
Compared to my four year old Ivy Bridge based Ultrabook which also has discrete GPU, the GT640M, the VisionX 471D wins hands down. Overclocking the CPU resulted in a slight decrease in memory speeds as described in the overclocking section, and it only yielded minor performance gains. I would recommend really fine tuning the overclock with the multipliers (supported up to 35x) if you decide to overclock, or somehow improve the cooling.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and System]
- Page 3 [Teardown of the VisionX 471D]
- Page 4 [Teardown of the VisionX 471D Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Overclocking]
- Page 6 [Test Setup and Benchmarks]
- Page 7 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 8 [Temperature and Power Consumption]
- Page 9 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Shazam's first trailer injects fun, and color into the DCEU
- DC unleashes first Aquaman trailer during SDCC 2018
- GeForce GTX 1170 benchmark surfaces, faster than GTX 1080 Ti
- Escape the 'Isle of Dogs' in our Blu-ray giveaway!
- Apple's new MacBook Pro SEVERELY THROTTLES from Core i9 heat
- Design a Colorful SSD contest
- NZXT Kraken M22 CPU Cooler Review
- Question about ASROCK 970 Extreme3 1.0
- MSI X470 Gaming M7 AC (AMD X470) Motherboard Review
- ASROCK C2750D4I BMC Self Test Failure
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit