Let's take a quick look around the iPhone 6 Plus.
On the back, we have the 8-megapixel iSight camera with dual LED flash.
On the right side, we have the power button and nano SIM card tray.
On the left, we have the volume and mute buttons. Up top we now have nothing.
Down the bottom, we have the 3.5mm jack, Lightning port, and speaker.
Apple Kills It When It Comes to Build Quality
In just a few words: the iPhone 6 Plus is one of the best handsets I've ever had in my hands. It looks great, the power button has been moved from the top, to the side - which was really required, as the new iPhone is no longer a phone that you can use with one hand.
We have beautiful curved edges, with the 5.5-inch Full HD display curving along the edge of this. So instead of competing devices, where we might see some nice curves on the side, but the screen itself is still rectangular. This is not the case with the iPhone, showing Apple's keen eye for detail.
Unfortunately, it doesn't look any different to virtually every other iPhone, with the display taking up the majority of the front, and the Touch ID or Home button residing down the bottom, as usual. I would've loved to have seen a radical change in design, especially after so many generations of iPhones looking virtually identical.
One of the stranger parts of the new iPhone is that it has a protruding camera lens, which makes it stand up slightly from the desk or whatever flat surface you've got it laying on. This isn't a big problem, but I don't see how Apple couldn't have made the entire phone 0.1mm thicker, for the sake of keeping that camera lens inside of the iPhone. Apple has protected it by providing a lens made from sapphire, but this won't fully protect it.
How Does the New iPhone 6 Plus Feel In My Hand?
When I first touched the iPhone, I loved it. It feels absolutely amazing in my hands, with every iota of quality oozing out of every single part of the iPhone. From the finish, to the buttons, it is all class from Apple. At just 6.9mm thick, it is much thinner than you'd expect for such a large iPhone, but it isn't all roses.
Apple wastes a lot of space down the bottom with its Home button, with the company saving space down the bottom of the handset if it made a smaller button. If the Home/Touch ID button was under half the size it is, Apple could've made a significantly shorter iPhone.
The new 5.5-inch display stops you from using it with one hand, shifting it into the two-handed category. Most of iOS isn't built for two-handed operation, which is something I'm going to talk about soon.
Meet the New Display King
Apple is known for its beautiful displays, with the new iPhone 6 Plus not disappointing. Cranking up to 1920x1080 ensures that resolution freaks, like myself, are not disappointed, but it's not all about resolution, either.
While I'm a huge fan of QHD panels being baked into smartphones, such as the LG G3, it does consume more battery life, and require more processing power to render everything - including, and probably most importantly, games. 2560x1440 isn't easy, and I'm sure Apple made a conscious decision to not jump up to 2560x1440, and stick with 1920x1080 - which is still a hell of a jump from the sub HD panel on the previous iPhones.
The display has great contrast, easily visible in broad daylight, and it can be turned right down so that it's not making your eyes bleed when you're using your iPhone in bed at night.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Microsoft make 'positive changes' for Xbox at E3 this year
- Phison's E12 controller featured at CES 2018
- Toshiba's new SSD line-up featured at CES 2018
- AMD hit with class action lawsuit over Spectre and Meltdown
- Cryptocurrency price cash wipes $300 billion from market cap
- Which one is Best laptop in my Budget
- ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac LGA 1150 major problems starting screen flickers > Freezes up win 10
- Phison E8 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Preview
- Bios Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming test 8700K
- Which chip Is my main bios chip ( Gigabyte P17F Notebook )
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series