Quanta's use of advanced software and hardware features from Microsoft and LSI means you don't just receive two dual Xeon storage servers in a 2U package. The nodes link together to create a continuously available storage solution that is efficient and low cost.
SMB 3.0 makes data transfers to and from the system efficient. The technology allows Quanta to use lower power and less expensive processors to keep the transfer rates high and the latency low. Data deduplication allows the MESOS CB220 to hold more data than would be possible without the technology. Since deduplication isn't a traditional compression method that heavily taxes the processor and DRAM, performance remains very high without using a lot of system resources.
The main feature comes from the hardware. Quanta used LSI's Syncro CS technology to share the twelve drive bays among the two nodes. If a node goes down, either through a system issue or a network issue, the other node takes over and serves as both nodes.
In a proper environment like a datacenter, the CB220 is able to serve several servers running large deployments of virtualized systems. SMB 3.0 and deduplication makes the CB220 store and perform like a larger, more expensive SAN. Also, since the CB220 uses ten gigabit Ethernet, the network infrastructure costs significantly less than a sixteen gigabit or even eight gigabit fiber channel network.
The Quanta MESOS CB220 is a bit more expensive than what we normally test, but it's easy to see the value in the product. The Value SKU CB220 is currently online for less than $10,000 with processors, 32GB of DRAM per node, and gigabit connectivity. Adding 10GbE to both nodes increases the cost slightly, but we found that two Quanta mezzanine cards cost about the same as a single 10GbE Intel X520 for a server.
Our system shipped with Windows Storage Server 2012, but since our system arrived, Quanta has updated the package with Storage Server 2012 R2. The R2 upgrade brings even more Windows based features, like storage tiering, to the CB220. Our system also shipped with twelve 2TB HDDs, but Quanta has increased the system capacity to 48TB with 4TB drives. The two add-on JBOD systems allow you to increase capacity even further if desired.
PRICING: You can find the Quanta MESOS CB220 (Value SKU) for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link to see the very latest pricing for the best deal.
United States: The Quanta MESOS CB220 (Value SKU) retails for $9,491.00 at Amazon.
Product Summary Breakdown
|Quality including Design and Build||98%|
|Bundle and Packaging||97%|
|Value for Money||96%|
|Overall TweakTown Rating||97%|
The Bottom Line: Quanta's MESOS CB220 is a unique solution that brings continuous available and efficient technologies into a lower price range. The base system is nice, but the performance SKU turns it up a notch.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Quanta MESOS CB220]
- Page 3 [Software Features]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - RAID 5 Single Client Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - iSCSI Enterprise Workloads]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - iSCSI Workload Latency]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Multi-Client Test]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- US rapper Soulja Boy announces his own... CONSOLE?!
- Overwatch update adds Ashe, balances everything else
- AMD EPYC Rome: 64C/128T processor teased at 2.35GHz
- Samsung Galaxy F rumors: March 2019, costs up to $1770
- Capcom may continue cloud-based Switch games
- ASRock DeskMini 310 SFF PC Review
- Q87m-e/csm & ddr3 1600 ram
- Intel Core i9-9980XE Extreme Edition Review
- Convert MBOX File Format to PST Format
- OLM to PST Converter
- 'Ring of Elysium' launches three-tier security system
- eZuce Vibe is Powered by Oracle Cloud and Now Available in the Oracle Cloud Marketplace
- GlobalSign Launches Global Partner Program to Advance Enterprise Growth
- ADAMA and Pessl Instruments Signed Agreement for Global Partnership
- TYAN Showcases HPC, Storage and Cloud Server Platforms