Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts
Coming in at around the $339 mark, the Sapphire R9 280X 3GB Vapor-X OC is indeed one of the more expensive R9 280X 3GB variants on the market at the moment. The simple question to answer when it comes to this situation is can the extra price that Sapphire charges over its competition be justified? The answer to that one is pretty easy: yes. While it's indeed one of the more expensive R9 280X 3GB cards, it does line up with other R9 280X 3GB cards that offer a much higher quality heat sink.
Compared to the R9 290 4GB, which is the next logical step up from this, the Sapphire R9 280X 3GB Vapor-X OC looks great. Coming in roughly $80-100 cheaper than the R9 290 4GB, the price separation is something a lot of people will notice. At around the $300 mark, the R9 280X continues to be an attractive option for gamers who are really looking to get serious bang for buck. It sits at that sweet spot at a price point people can justify.
When it comes to performance, the numbers are pretty much as you'd expect; we're sitting behind the R9 290 4GB. The decent core bump Sapphire has offered, though, does help draw it in a bit, and at the highest resolution, you can see that performance can be quite close at times. The other thing we see quite often is when the Sapphire R9 280X 3GB Vapor-X OC does fall short at the highest resolutions, the R9 290 4GB also falls short.
It's important to remember, though, that the higher-end offering does sit closer to that 60 FPS mark, and if you do want to play at that particular resolution, you're going to need less of a detail drop. 1920x1200 or 1920x1080 is indeed the sweet spot for this card. As for AA and AF being an option, it's going to depend on the particular game. While you see some games don't have an issue, others are just way too far below where we need it to be.
When it comes to the bundle, Sapphire indeed manages to get the edge. While it's not much, the inclusion of the HDMI cable is an extra that isn't really seen from other companies. It's not a lot, but I won't deny that having an extra HDMI cable laying around has come in handy a few times.
Overall, the Sapphire R9 280X 3GB Vapor-X OC is pretty much what you'd expect: a really strong performing, great looking, and well put together video card. While it's priced a little higher than some of its competition, we don't have a huge issue justifying the price difference thanks to the quality of the card.
PRICING: You can find the Sapphire R9 280X 3GB Vapor-X OC for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing but can change at any time. Click the link to see the very latest pricing for the best deal.
United States: The Sapphire R9 280X 3GB Vapor-X OC retails for $339.99 at Amazon.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Video Card Details and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup & FPS Numbers Explained]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Sky Diver & Catzilla]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven & Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2 & Just Cause 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks -Metro Last Light & Nexuiz]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2 & Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Hitman Absolution & Tomb Raider]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - BioShock Infinite & Battlefield 4]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - GRID Autosport]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - 4K - 3840x2160 Testing]
- Page 15 [Temperature & Sound Testing]
- Page 16 [Power Consumption Testing]
- Page 17 [Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Get schooled for our 'Night School' Blu-ray giveaway!
- Win a Blu-ray copy of the film on us!
- Aim for the stars in our 'First Man' Blu-ray giveaway!
- Metro Exodus' story reacts to your decisions
- Visceral's Star Wars game was basically Star Wars Uncharted
- Can't connect to my Wifi network
- Need advice and build help
- Gigabyte ga-b75-d3v rev 1.0
- EX58-UD5 w/ RX580 GPU: unexpected system shutdown when monitor sleeps
- Choosing best drivers for Z97-A
- Ubisoft's Rainbow Six Siege Coming To Belong Gaming Arenas
- Sunless Skies Leaves Early Access
- Space Justice Now Available For iOS And Android Devices
- Forge an Epic Team of Heroes in Forged Fantasy, Now Available From Hothead Games
- Kingdom Hearts III 'Share Your Heart Out' Campaign Spreads Love Across Social Media