We will try to be as polite about this as possible, but we will still be taking a reviewer and potential customer view of this chassis. Don't get us all wrong here, there is a lot to like in the BitFenix Shadow; there really is. The SofTouch front panel is both cool to look at with its angles and vents, all in black to let that logo on the front door pop.
We also like that there is a door, and with no windowed side panel, it really does not matter that it swings to the left rather than to the right. We like that the front I/O has the latest connectivity, and even sort of hides the fact that it has the thin LED panel at the bottom of the door to accent the room. The only thing is, you have to ask yourself: Is the LED strip aspect of this chassis worth $30 to you?
The reason we put it so bluntly like that, and this is where things start to turn south, is that once you open the chassis, you find that you are given a two to three year old design that many of us passed on back then. There is also the fact that some of the most barebones clips are used to give the chassis an overall cheap feel, and the fact that it is so flexible with the panels off does not help to combat initial impressions.
We also assume this is why there is no window, as it would allow a view of the interior, raise sound levels, and show everyone you took a step back in time when buying this chassis. Even with testing showing average thermal results, offering the option for just two more fans really isn't going to do much better for temperatures; at least not as much as an open top chassis would offer.
While there are a fair amount of pros to go along with the cons, we feel the biggest killer for the BitFenix Shadow is the current pricing. When we say this is a fifty dollar solution, we mean that with the LED strip included. Since the rest of the chassis is so "old school," we personally wouldn't want to pay more than $30 to $40 for this chassis without it.
While it is a pretty cool looking chassis, we just don't feel the rest of the chassis has enough of what customers really want to justify the price. If you happen to find this chassis on sale, or slightly used at a fair discount, by all means try one out. However, at this sort of pricing, the name sort of foretold its future, as this chassis may be better off staying in the shadows of other, much better appointed case designs in this price range.
PRICING: You can find the BitFenix Shadow for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing but can change at any time. Click the link to see the very latest pricing for the best deal.
United States: The BitFenix Shadow retails for $79.99 at Amazon.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging]
- Page 3 [BitFenix Shadow Mid-Tower Chassis]
- Page 4 [Inside the Shadow]
- Page 5 [Accessories and Documentation]
- Page 6 [Case Build and Finished Product]
- Page 7 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Luigi's Mansion 3 has a spooky Halloween debut, October 31
- PUBG's backstory is a Lex Luthor puppetmaster fantasy dream
- Human-based AI solves Rubik's Cube in 28 moves, 1.2 seconds
- Humans search for alien interstellar Morse code with arrays
- Elon Musk's Neuralink head DRILLING tests begin next year
- Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night Review
- NZXT H500i Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Master (AMD X570) Motherboard Review
- closing explorer.exe cause unstable mouse movement
- AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT benchmarked at 3440x1440
- Royale Pass Season 8 And More Graces PUBG Mobile's Battlefield In Time For New Version Update
- Age of Wonders: Planetfall Retail Versions Now Available for Pre-Order
- Night Call - A Noire Novella Investigative Game - Out Now on Steam and Xbox Game Pass for PC
- Edge of Eternity gets third chapter 'The Reunion' in major update today
- Asmodee Digital Kicks Off Early Access for Gloomhaven With a Brand New Launch Trailer