As of late, external SSDs have really come on strong as a way for us to transport our data with the utmost of performance. Like many other high performance storage solutions, external SSDs have begun to shrink in size.
MyDigitalSSD is a leader in this market, offering high performance flash storage solutions, without the price tag or mark-up of bigger brand names. Their latest line of products includes the one we are looking at today: the Pocket Vault. The Pocket Vault is available in capacities ranging from 64GB to 1TB; featuring read speeds of 240 MB/s, with write speeds at 170 MB/s. Compatibility of the drive extends from latest Windows operating systems to Mac OS X, and Linux. Warranty of the drive is listed at one year.
We find the USB 3.0 cable included in the packaging with the Pocket Vault.
Internally, the Pocket Vault utilizes the Phison PS2251 controller, with four Toshiba MLC NAND packages.
Above, we can compare the size of the Pocket Vault to other external solutions on the market. As you can see, the drive carries a small footprint in comparison to the typical external drive; it fits right in your pocket.
In our read testing, the Pocket Vault was able to exceed marketing specifications by a fair bit. Here, we have the drive topping out at 310 MB/s.
Write performance of the drive came right in line with marketing specifications. Here, the drive topped out around 165 MB/s.
In our price to performance charts, the Pocket Vault came second in our charts against other external SSDs.
Coming in at just over the size of a standard USB flash drive, the Pocket Vault offers additional durability through the use of its aluminum exterior. In my time with the drive, I really felt the Pocket Vault was put together quite well; in fact, while doing my normal image routine, it took me a few minutes to remove the cover for internal images.
Performance of the drive was ample, and met marketing specifications on both fronts, with read performance exceeding. Price to performance of the drive, as seen in our charts, was second only to the ADATA SE720 120GB drive. However, it offers 256GB capacity, far under the price of traditional USB 3.0 flash drives of equal capacity.
At the time of writing, pricing of the Pocket Vault ranges from $59.99 for the 64GB model, to $169.99 for the 256GB capacity tested here today. You can also go big, and grab yourself the 1TB Pocket Vault for $649.99. All of these are available at mydigitaldiscount.com, and feature a one-year warranty.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds will 'soon' get map selection
- Australian High Court REJECTS Valves appeal to $3M fine
- Skyrim Special Edition - 4K and 8K textures mods available
- God of War director reads reviews on video, shows true heart
- Witcher 3 mod allows Geralt to go full Benjamin Button
- Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Puck RX570 Review
- Akitio Thunder3 10G Network Adapter
- Can I install a Soundblaster THX TruStudio Pro Snd Crd in my GA-170X-Gaming 7 MoBo?
- AMD Ryzen 7 2700X and Ryzen 5 2600X Review
- FSP CMT510 RGB Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit