Inside the FREE
Removing the back half of the FREE for a peek inside, it is apparent that this is as far as we go to be sure not to damage the PCB connections or the clips used to hold in the lower section. We do obviously see the 3.7V, 300mAh, Great Power, Li-ION rechargeable battery.
The pair of chips here deals with the communications of the CSR Bluetooth IC painted with the blue dot. Finding information on the MX chip is tougher, and I can only guess it is some form of a controller to take the signals from the FREE and codes them for the BT 2.1 transceiver.
The pair of LV165A chips are 8-bit counter shift registers made by Texas instruments. These allow functionality of the switches and buttons used, works in conjunction with the Bluetooth, and speaking of which, there is a decent antenna traced at the bottom of the PCB.
When charging the FREE upon initial setup, the LED next to the A button will be red. When the charge is completed, the light will go off. During use, when you hold in the A button it sets the FREE into pairing mode where the LED will blink fast, and is white. Once paired and ready for use, in gaming mode, the light blinks slowly at about one blink per 3 seconds. In arcade mode, the light will blink faster when paired, at the rate of about one white blink a second.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [Packaging]
- Page 4 [SteelSeries FREE Mobile Wireless Controller]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Uber taps Volvo, adds 24,000 self-driving cars to its gang
- Uber updates app with 'Live Location' functionality
- Publishers should raise game prices, says analyst
- GIVEAWAY: OCZ TR200 3D BiCS FLASH SSDs thanks to Toshiba
- Death Stranding in playable state, progressing on schedule
- Intel 15.X series Raid Rom compatible with X99??
- Intel Optane SSD 900P 280GB & 480GB AIC NVMe PCIe SSD Review
- p8z77-v Deluxe won't boot after new install of Win 10
- Secretlab OMEGA 2018 gaming chair: the new king is here
- NVIDIA TITAN Xp Star Wars Collector's Edition Unboxed
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series
- ASUS Republic of Gamers Announces Swift PG27VQ