Inside the FREE
Removing the back half of the FREE for a peek inside, it is apparent that this is as far as we go to be sure not to damage the PCB connections or the clips used to hold in the lower section. We do obviously see the 3.7V, 300mAh, Great Power, Li-ION rechargeable battery.
The pair of chips here deals with the communications of the CSR Bluetooth IC painted with the blue dot. Finding information on the MX chip is tougher, and I can only guess it is some form of a controller to take the signals from the FREE and codes them for the BT 2.1 transceiver.
The pair of LV165A chips are 8-bit counter shift registers made by Texas instruments. These allow functionality of the switches and buttons used, works in conjunction with the Bluetooth, and speaking of which, there is a decent antenna traced at the bottom of the PCB.
When charging the FREE upon initial setup, the LED next to the A button will be red. When the charge is completed, the light will go off. During use, when you hold in the A button it sets the FREE into pairing mode where the LED will blink fast, and is white. Once paired and ready for use, in gaming mode, the light blinks slowly at about one blink per 3 seconds. In arcade mode, the light will blink faster when paired, at the rate of about one white blink a second.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [Packaging]
- Page 4 [SteelSeries FREE Mobile Wireless Controller]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Bethesda pursues long-lasting relationship with Nintendo
- PUBG devs may be squeezed out of Battle Royale market
- Windows Store being re-branded as Microsoft Store
- Blizzard announces full Overwatch League teams
- NieR: Automata shipped and sold over 2 million copies
- Upgrading USB ports on top of case
- Areca ARC-8050T3 12-Bay Thunderbolt 3 RAID DAS Review
- GA-P67A-UD3P-B3 can't change multiplier past 38, can't change turbo ratio with i5 3570k
- TP-Link Archer C3150 Dual-Band Wireless Router Review
- Using Netgear wndr3700 as router extender problem
- AOC announces retail availability of AGON curved QHD gaming monitor
- Seasonic presents the PRIME Ultra power supplies
- EVGA announces GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 ELITE video card
- G.Skill releases AMD Ryzen-optimized Trident Z RGB DDR4 memory
- Hear the difference feel the beat of the DRUM