When the first news blast of this device was brought forth, it instantly grabbed our attention. After a few emails back and forth, and having to wait a bit for it to actually release, we were finally given a sample of this new controller from SteelSeries. Now this is not the average controller by any means. While there are many wireless solutions for PC gaming already on the market, I know of none of those devices that will also work on phones and tablets. This was very intriguing, and was something we thought the readers would appreciate an in depth review of.
The main idea of course is to offer a comfortable and playable controller. SteelSeries does this, offering a controller with a D-pad, dual joysticks, four buttons on the front, two paddles on the top, and there are a pair in the middle that act as start and reset, but also have other functions too. The design is sleek and smooth, covered mostly in a rubberized coating mixed with light grey trim and a darker gray plastic surrounding and highlighting the controls. The other factor that played into this design was portability. Since it can be used with mobile devices, it only seems right that this controller should be able to go in a pocket just as easily as the phone, or at least not take up much space while traveling with a tablet or PC.
We went through some trials and tribulations to make it to this point, but I would like to thank the support team over at SteelSeries for helping me through what was found out to be some sort of USB stacking issue. Word to the wise. When testing as many products via USB as I do, you may well have to rewrite an OS eventually to make a product work, even when drivers were pulled out properly.
After realizing this issue, and then moving to a second PC to test on, the enjoyment level of the time with this device had doubled, as I was playing only on the phone with this for about a week due to this small issue. Now that everything is in order, and the FREE has been thoroughly tested, we can now bring you the full story.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [Packaging]
- Page 4 [SteelSeries FREE Mobile Wireless Controller]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Steam introduces Histograms to prevent review bombing
- i-rocks introduces K60M PLUS RGB mechanical keyboard
- Overwatch's next hero is playable, but wont be out soon
- PS4 & Xbox One cross-play briefly enabled for Fortnite
- Thermaltake reveal the Versa H18 Window Micro case
- Using Netgear wndr3700 as router extender problem
- A Look at AMD's Threadripper CPU Hardware Modes
- Plextor M8Se 256GB & 512GB NVMe PCIe SSD Review
- ad240ehdgmbox on m3a785gmh/128m mainboard?
- 8K benched: RX Vega 64 vs. GTX 1080 Ti vs. TITAN Xp SLI
- In Win Launches 'Wood-infused' 305 Mid-Tower PC Chassis
- Micron appoints Anand Jayapalan as Storage Business Unit Vice President
- Bluehole, Inc and Microsoft announce expanded partnership for PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
- Optimize system performance with new drive adapter
- Lian Li reveals new PC-Q39 tempered glass Mini-ITX tower