The top performance tier of any market is a fascinating place. Performance in just about any task provides a clear point of reference to judge a product. The very best products tend to cost more than those further down the list and because of that, the very best products are not the most consumed.
Determining what products is the fastest is just one way to measure SSDs. Price and performance tend to get most of our attention here at TweakTown, but other factors, such as reliability and availability do factor in when we write a review.
In 2012, three products stood out as delivering the highest performance possible for the SATA III interface. SuperSSpeed's S301 SLC SSD has dropped off that list for today's review because the architecture doesn't support capacity sizes over 128GB. The price would also be an issue if it did as well. OCZ's Vector and Samsung's 840 Pro on the other hand are left and both products scale to 512GB.
We've reviewed the OCZ Vector SSD in all three capacity sizes, the only review site that I know of to do so. Samsung has been a tough nut for us to crack and I'm sure there are a few reasons why. One that comes to mind is our reluctance to recommend Samsung's lower capacity products. We didn't like the 830 128GB nor the 840 Pro 128GB. Samsung's architecture produces strange latency results in the lower capacity sizes in some of our tests, and you can feel the latency under real-world use.
Just because Samsung doesn't seed us with their products, it doesn't mean we're not going to review them. That said, we acquired our own 840 Pro 256GB drive and shall beat it to a pulp today just like any other SSD. 840 Pro is a product most of our readers want to see because our readers tend to purchase higher end SSDs.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [Package]
- Page 4 [Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage - Drives with Data Testing]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - BootRacer]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - DiskBench]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Power Testing]
- Page 15 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, 5th best selling game for 2018
- Nintendo to reveal 'Indie Highlights' games for Switch 2019
- Overwatch tease 'Lunar New Year' Chinese dynasty theme skins
- FromSoftware President wouldn't mind a Demon Souls Remaster
- Resident Evil 2 to get 'Ghost Survivors' mode after launch
- Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD Review - The 96-Layer Refresh
- best 470 board for Windows 7?????????
- Can't connect to my Wifi network
- Need advice and build help
- Gigabyte ga-b75-d3v rev 1.0
- AZZ Inc. Issues Fiscal Year 2020 Guidance; Revenue of $950 - $1,030 million and Earnings per Share of $2.25 - $2.75
- The mobile communication antenna market will register a CAGR of over 6% by 2023
- Tractica and ConnecTechAsia Team Up with Knowledge Partnership
- ODEM Applauds Blockchain Centre Vilnius on Its First Anniversary
- Dale North Kicks Off PERFECT SELECTION Compilation Series