We can type about any performance short comings until we are blue in the fingers or about how new technology is starting to push LSI SandForce products to the back of the bus, but none of that really matters. Above we see the Newegg listing for the Chronos DX 480GB (on the left) and the Chronos 480GB base model (on the right). The one you want is the DX that we reviewed today and it's only $20 more than the asynchronous flash model and $30 less than the next lowest priced SSD with synchronous flash in this capacity group (480GB - 512GB). The Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 480GB is the lowest cost, good drive on the market.
With the price laid out we can talk a bit about performance. The LSI SandForce architecture is very good, even in its old age for an SSD. The data compression makes it so drives like the Mushkin Chronos DX can still compete with the newer products because they are still very fast, even comparable to drives that just hit the market.
The 50% of capacity fill test gives us a good understanding of what's really happening to SSDs when you get a lot of data on the drives and how they behave. When looking at that corner case, and it is a very big corner, the Mushkin Chronos DX does very well against the new drives on the market and is even a little faster than nearly all of them.
What you end up with is a drive that costs much less than it really should, performs very well and offers a lot of storage space. If you're looking for a high capacity SSD, this is the one you should consider first unless you want to spend $200 more on a product that performs a little faster before you start stuffing data on it.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [Packaging]
- Page 4 [Mushkin Chronos DX 480GB SSD]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage - Drives with Data Testing]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - BootRacer]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - DiskBench]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Power Testing]
- Page 15 [Final Thoughts]