Specifications, Pricing and Availability
I've already started off with some bold claims, but I do understand your hesitation. In the 256GB review I peaked your interest with the notion that it was faster than the 240GB Team SandForce drives only to shoot the Performance Pro 256GB down for lower performance when filled to half capacity. That isn't the case this time.
Looking at the specification we see that the Corsair Performance Pro 128GB is a solid state drive with up to 500MB/s read and 340MB/s write speed. Those speeds are quite fast, but on paper they don't match the SandForce SF-2281 controlled 120GB drive's numbers. Thankfully we are not playing an on paper game, this isn't Dungeons and Dragons - this is building your killer PC.
There is an error on Corsair's webpage specifications and that is in the DRAM Cache Memory slot. Here Corsair lists "No" but the reality is the Performance Pro has cache and a lot of it. The cache system is fairly unique in that it uses dual 256MB chips for a total cache size of 512MB.
The controller is a Marvell 88SS9174-BKK2, one that we've seen tip up more than a few times now. The beauty of this controller is its ability to be tuned via programming and firmware updates. That makes the BKK2 very potent when paired with the right accompanying hardware and programmed for performance.
Corsair always does a solid job incorporating the extra hardware users want with their solid state drives. With the Performance Pro you get a desktop adapter bracket, screws for installing your drive in a desktop and a solid three year warranty.
There are many good things about SandForce based drives and high performance isn't the only one. The Corsair Performance Pro 128GB at this time is still missing out on the other, price. This is going to be a bit difficult for Corsair to hit with the Performance Pro packing all of that cache. Still, the 128GB model isn't priced out of existence, the Newegg price at the time of writing is 209.99. This is about what you'd expect for a high performance 128GB SSD, but for 149.99 USD you could have a Force GT 120GB, one of the best made 2281 controlled drives on the market today.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [The Packaging]
- Page 4 [Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - HD Tune Pro]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage - Drives with Data Testing]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - AS SSD]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Passmark]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Dbrands Nintendo Switch skins guarantee no damage to device
- PowerColor teases Radeon RX Vega Nano prototype
- AMD teases Ryzen 7 2800X, could be a 10C/20T beast at 4GHz+
- Xbox One could soon have 120Hz high refresh rate option
- Valve picks up Campo Santo, Firewatch developer
- FS 40 Pieces Samsung Galaxy S9+ (www.BizFests.com) 128GB $8,520
- Legacy Mode
- Possible Router Issues
- ADATA Premier Memory Cards
- Can't complete BIOS recovery
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit