Reginald Kenneth Dwight, commonly referred to as Elton John (now Sir), is one of the finest recording artists and song writers alive today - and watching Elton 60: Live at Madison Square Garden it's not hard to see why. Classic after classic is belted out, accompanied by concurrent piano playing, ranging from fan favourites such as 'Tiny Dancer', 'Rocket Man' and 'I'm Still Standing', to lesser known titles such as 'The Bridge' and an additional 29 songs. With only short breaks between sets, it's a miracle that John continues with such poise and grace, with only very minor strain evident in his voice.
To mark the man's 60th birthday, he provided his own entertainment, performing to a packed out crowd in New York's Madison Square Garden. Thankfully, there were multiple high definition cameras set up to capture the event, along with enough recording equipment to render a truly wonderful audio experience. Simply put, Elton 60 is the finest live recording I've yet seen committed to disc, with truly superlative audio and visual quality. How good? Read on.
Elton 60 is presented in a widescreen aspect ratio of 1.78:1, its original aspect ratio, encoded with the AVC MPEG-4 codec.
I'm not sure what make of cameras were used to record the event, but they've done a wonderful job. Of note is the event seems to be purposefully lit and setup so as to look good on video, as opposed to other concert videos where it's clear that little thought has gone into how it will look. The image is very sharp and detailed; so much so that you can see the beads of sweat on his brow. The colour balance is very good, and definitely helped by the fantastic lighting. I saw little evidence of macroblocking, only evident on some of the flowing streamers and confetti released at the conclusion.
Overall, a very pleasing video transfer from a live event.
The main audio track is encoded in uncompressed PCM 5.1, at 24 bits.
I've had the opportunity to catch a few live performances on Blu-ray and generally I've been happy with the quality on offer (except for Pink's funhouse concert. I dislike her intensely), but all of these are blown out of the water by the quality on offer here.
This is an extremely aggressive mix, with tight control of the audio parameters. The vocals in particular come across in the mix very well, always cutting above the rest of the mix even in loud sequences. The tonal quality of the vocals is truly spectacular and I dare say better than what the actual audience heard.
The surrounds are always active creating an extremely impressive, enveloping sound. They close in on the viewer in a way that only the best surround mixing can provide. Additionally, if your amplifier is 7.1 enhanced, the mix becomes even more involved.
Bass usage is quite high, but not overly so as to drown out the rest of the mix.
Overall, it's a very pleasing effort. Elton John fans will be extremely pleased with the results and if you are lucky enough to be able to take advantage of lossless audio, then you are in for an amazing experience.
There are no extra features. Unfortunately, the previously released DVD did have a few which are not carried over.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Low-end Switch to replace 3DS handheld
- Death Stranding isn't in testing phases yet
- Valve wants to use your brain as a controller
- Two new Nintendo Switch models to release around summer 2019
- Mortal Kombat 11: Noob Saibot/Shang Tsung added to roster
- ASrock X99 Extreme4 - adding NVMe SSD
- Global web designing
- Do anyone can help in converting Outlook PST Files into EML format
- Icy Dock flexiDock MB524SP-B Review - 4x 2.5" SATA, 5.25 Bay
- Icy Dock flexiDock MB795SP-B Review - 3.5" & 2.5" Single Bay
- Numskull Designs proudly reveals: Official Mortal Kombat Klassic merchandise
- Akuto: Showdown - fast-paced arena brawler game with swords and guns
- Creative Destruction and Transformers' Bumblebee Team Up for In-Game Event Arriving March 28
- Corpse Party: Sweet Sachiko's Hysteric Birthday Bash Invites You to Celebrate When it Releases April 10 on PC
- PUBG Mobile Reveals Its 2019 eSports Plans Which Will Feature A Prize Pool of $2.5 million USD