Specifications, Availability and pricing
To speak about the power rating of this unit, we must first refer to the Manual included. There are two power cords provided in the box. The reasoning is simple. A standard 15amp outlet can only handle 1200 watts, so you get a 15 amp cord with special built in breaker. In order to fully utilize all 1600 watts, you must use the 20 amp cord included and obviously you'll need a 20 amp breaker.
As seen in the above feature summary, this PSU has everything covered, including a Bronze 80% efficiency rating and 50 degrees Celsius power rating, amongst the standard features such as Active PFC, Short circuit protection and over temperature protection. Take a look at the above graphic for the entire summary.
The $399.99 MSRP seems pricey, but for a 1600-watt unit, it is really on par with similar models.
This PSU features a modular design. Ultra pioneered modular power supplies in the middle of this past decade, and their patented technology reduces case clutter, increases airflow, and makes service and upgrades easier all while leaving a polished and professional appearance.
The package claims that the "X4 line received the coveted 80 Plus Bronze certification meeting a stringent energy efficiency performance specification." Well, there is no reason to think this isn't true (until we get to the test results), but they might be pushing the envelope when they choose to use the word "coveted". The "80 Plus" cert is designed to promote energy efficiency, and being 80 Plus certified is surely a good thing. However, there are five levels of certification and Bronze is actually the fourth level from the top (which is Platinum).
To boil it down, a PSU rated Bronze running at a 100% load capacity is running 82% efficient. At 50% load, it runs 85% efficient. That's actually not too bad, I suppose, but it isn't really cause for celebration.
The 1600-Watt Ultra X4 features short circuit protection, in-rush current protection, and thermal overload cutoff protection. Those things all sound pretty important. In fact, they are. They work together to prevent damage to your computer's expensive internal components that can be caused by under voltage, surges, and brown outs. Frankly, everyone who operates a desktop PC should have a battery backup system featuring voltage regulation (especially when you can buy them so cheaply) because the power grid in the US is dirty, and because everything from lightning storms to a faulty compressor connected to a circuit can cause a surge that could damage an unprotected PC. That the Ultra X4 has built in extra protection measures is laudable and appreciated.
The box boasts "simple installation." Well, it is a power supply. Seemingly all PSUs can be installed in minutes with a Philips screwdriver. However, as I said before, Ultra pioneered modular design, and that makes a world of difference in building PCs. Plus, they toss in thumb screws, zip ties, and Velcro straps to help the build. So in this case, I think the words "simple installation" are actually meaningful.
The X4 is designed to reduce noise. It features a 135mm dual bearing-cooling fan providing increased airflow for longer life. It also includes a silicone chassis bracket intended to reduce vibration noise. The X4 series features a lifetime warranty.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Bungie: Activision let us do awesome things with Destiny
- Disney+ includes free 4K streaming, supports 4 simultaneous streams
- Bandai Namco: Epic Store exclusivity isn't our vision
- El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie announced, drops October 11 on Netflix
- The best destruction physics in a game EVER, also features ray tracing
- Lian Li TU150 Mini-ITX Chassis Review
- SteelSeries Arctis 9X Wireless Headset Review
- Seagate Gears 5TB Game Drive Review
- TRENDnet USB-C 2.5Gbe Network Adapter Review
- Mushkin Pilot-E NVMe M.2 SSD Review
- Snooker 19, the first official snooker game in a generation, is out now on Nintendo Switch
- Ultimate Fishing Simulator VR will debut in August
- Leyou Technologies Announces 2019 Interim Results
- Thermaltake A700 Aluminum Tempered Glass Edition Full Tower Chassis Now Available Simplicity Creates Its Own Path
- 2019 Thermaltake CaseMOD Invitational Season 2 Brings Twelve Top Modders Worldwide Together for the New Creation of the Core P5 V2 Chassis Battle for the Best