The ZOWIE Hammer is an interesting product with mixed results at the end of the day. They are fairly well packaged and assembled and seem strong and rugged.
The Hammer also comes with a good length of cable and a little novelty gift of another set of ear pads in case your ears happen to sweat a lot. The supplied microphone is also strong and well protected and should provide a good sturdy solution for gamers who want to talk and play.
Although this is not the area to mention new findings, please bare in mind that there is no software or even a manual, so configuring the mic is left up to the user.
Continuing with the mixed bag analogy, listening tests were just that. Some mild rock music was passable for the most part, but electronic music was the best.
The low-end was atrocious, never sounding impressive no matter what volume level or EQ setting was used. And this was on the best consumer sound card out, the ASUS Xonar Essence STX. So, you get the picture.
So, "what's the bottom line?" - I hear people out there saying "what do you expect? They only cost a hundred quid AU?". Well, so do the Steelseries Siberia Red and they are a much stronger product.
Spend a little more and you get dedicated surround with an array of eight speakers featured in the powerful 5.1 Sharkoons. Spend a little more again and you get a gorgeous pair of Razer Megalodon in their sumptuous little hat box with all the trimmings.
I feel I really have to be cruel to be kind. It's not like every company can nail the bull's eye with their fist arrow. But I'm afraid ZOWIE missed the whole target zone and got the little guy standing behind, minding his own business.
If I were in touch with the designers I'd say; re-group, reload and come back again stronger with more knowledge and I'll start over with a clean slate.
No-awards today I'm afraid. But my score does reflect the fledgling nature of ZOWIE and their need to gain some experience with what's required when designing a product. So I'm not going to be excessively stiff with my mark, because even corporations and companies must start somewhere.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Street Fighter V players upgraded to the Arcade Edition
- Star Wars Battlefront 2 patch 1.1 brings stability all round
- Civilization VI: Rise and Fall new details fully explained
- Dynasty Warriors 9 reveals a massive open world with trailer
- Dragon Ball FighterZ will have another 24 hours of open beta
- The Coffee Lake Overclocking Guide
- X99-Gaming-5P 6850K 128G Ram - Help Overclock
- Which one is Best laptop in my Budget
- ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac LGA 1150 major problems starting screen flickers > Freezes up win 10
- Phison E8 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Preview
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series