Boxing Day has lost its positioning as the premier shopping date of the Christmas season with Black Friday now the key date in the sales and bargain-hunting calendar.
The expected carnival of retail on Boxing Day saw online shoppers making 17% fewer purchases than they did a year ago.
Consumers got online in search of a bargain on Boxing Day at about twice the rate that they did throughout Christmas Eve and made five times as many purchases in the process.
However, the country's biggest online retailers saw their conversion rates - the percentage of online shoppers that actually made a purchase from a website - drop from a total of 3% on Boxing Day in 2013 to 2.5% in 2014.
Meanwhile, the conversion rate on Black Friday - the 28th November, reached 2.7% as British consumers went looking for deals. The number of people spending money online was also higher than on Boxing Day - almost 79% more internet shoppers bought something on an ecommerce website on Black Friday than on the 26th December.
As a result many retailers such as Currys are already preparing for Black Friday next year and using their websites to urge customers to mark out the 27th November 2015 in their diaries.
Though Boxing Day lost out to Black Friday in terms of online purchases, UK shoppers still flocked to the internet in massive numbers looking for deals once Christmas was done. Qubit's clients - a list that includes Topshop owner Arcadia Group, DFS and Shop Direct Group - saw a total of 17,657,174 online visitors throughout the day with just under half a million people making 824,152 individual purchases.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Every character trailer for Soulcalibur VI/combat tutorial
- Job J Stauffer reveals his experience working at Rockstar
- Fox flies Starlink: Battle for Atlas onto Nintendo Switch
- Ubisoft release For Honor 'Marching Fire' gameplay trailer
- Spider-Man 'The Heist' DLC adds 3 suits, October 23rd launch
- ASRock A320M-DGS + Ryzen 5 2600 budget upgrade with older video card?
- Default Netgear Wireless WG111 Issue
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Review: The Perfect Card For 1440p
- Computer will not turn on.
- Netgear Wireless WG111 Issue
- OnDeck Launches ODX for Banks
- Adobe Announces Next Generation of Creative Cloud at MAX 2018
- Sharkoon PURE STEEL: Minimalist PC Case for High-End Hardware
- Xara Designer Pro X v16 has been released
- Endless Road: Indie roguelite card game now on Steam