Sony Ericsson reports second quarter 2010 results
16 July 2010
- Income before taxes excl. restructuring charges increases to Euro 63 million
- Positive cash flow generated from operating activities
- ASP rises to Euro 160
The consolidated financial summary for Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications AB (Sony Ericsson) for the second quarter ended June 30, 2010 is as follows:
Bert Nordberg, President, Sony Ericsson commented, "Our second quarter results show that the company continued the momentum seen in the first quarter as a result of our focus on the value market and the success of new smartphones; Xperia X10 and Vivaz, launched during the first quarter. These models, along with the Xperia X10 mini and Xperia X10 mini pro which started shipping at the end of the second quarter, have been well received by operators and we are now well positioned for long term growth."
Sales for the quarter were Euro 1,757 million, a 25% increase sequentially and a 4% increase year-on-year. Units shipped in the quarter were 11 million, a 5% increase sequentially and a 20% decrease year-on- year due to the reduction in size of the product portfolio. Average selling price (ASP) increased 19% sequentially and 31% year-on-year to Euro 160 during the quarter due to improved product and geographical mix, as well as positive currency effects.
Income before taxes for the quarter excluding restructuring charges was a profit of Euro 63 million, illustrating the positive impact of the cost reduction programme and favourable product mix.
The transformation programme, which started in mid-2008 is now in its final stages and on target to reduce annual operating expenses by Euro 880 million by the end of the year. Since the start of the program Sony Ericsson has reduced its global workforce by approximately 4,000 people to reach a total workforce of approximately 7,800 by June 30, 2010. The total restructuring charges taken to date for the programme are Euro 374 million.
As of June 30, 2010 Sony Ericsson retained a net cash position of Euro 609 million, an increase of Euro 46 million sequentially mainly due to operating results, tight financial management of working capital, as well as positive currency effects.
Market share in unit base for the quarter remained flat and is estimated to be around 4%.
Sony Ericsson maintains a forecast of slight growth in units in the global handset market in 2010.
The liquid identity is a registered trademark of Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications AB.
Vivaz and XPERIA are trademarks of Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications AB.
Sony is a registered trademark of Sony Corporation. Ericsson is a registered trademark of Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson.
Any rights not expressly granted herein are reserved and subject to change without prior notice.
Latest News Posts
- Divinity: Original Sin 2 receives first major patch
- NVIDIA goes all-in with AI for the 'goodness of mankind'
- NVIDIA GeForce 385.69 WHQL drivers released
- AOC release their curved AG322QCX QHD 144Hz monitor
- Battlegrounds hits 1.5 million concurrent users
- HP OfficeJet Pro 8740 Printer Review
- Internet Download Manager Full
- Intel Core i9-7980XE and i9-7960X CPU Review
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 4K Blu-ray Review
- Upgrading USB ports on top of case
- GIGABYTE introduces Z370 AORUS motherboards
- Samsung starts producing industry's first universal flash storage for next-generation automotive applications
- AOC announces retail availability of AGON curved QHD gaming monitor
- Seasonic presents the PRIME Ultra power supplies
- EVGA announces GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 ELITE video card