Elpida and Winbond Form DRAM Manufacturing Partnership
Elpida Memory, Inc., Japan's leading global supplier of Dynamic Random Access Memory (DRAM), and Winbond Electronics Corp. today announced that they have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) for DRAM foundry services that will see Winbond manufacture DRAMs under contract to Elpida. The outsourcing agreement is the first step of a business partnership the two companies intend to pursue further.
The agreement pertains to the supply of GDDR3 and GDDR5 graphic DRAMs for Elpida. Prior to this agreement Winbond and Elpida have been working together to commercialize GDDR3 and GDDR5 DRAM products. Winbond is preparing to begin commercial production of these products by the end of 2009 while Elpida plans to begin purchasing the output in the first half of 2010.
Under the agreement, Elpida and Winbond will now embark on a more formal business relationship. As a first step Elpida will provide Winbond with advanced DRAM process technology and product technology and in return Winbond will allocate certain capacity at its wafer fabs in Taichung to manufacture these DRAM products. Elpida will purchase the product output and sell it to major customers under its own corporate brand name.
"The partnership we are forming with Winbond is tremendously satisfying," said Elpida president and CEO Yukio Sakamoto. "The combination of Elpida's advanced technology and Winbond's rich product manufacturing experience, which includes graphics memory, will enable us to expand our product lineup across a wide range of applications."
"Winbond is pleased to form a business partnership with Elpida, world-leading DRAM supplier, starting with a graphic DRAM foundry by using current technology. However, to make this partnership a long and lasting relationship, I believe implementing next generation DRAM process technology from Elpida into our fab will be the best solution for both of us. It will enhance the competitiveness of our specialty DRAM, Mobile RAM as well." said Arthur Chiao, CEO & Chairman of Winbond Electronics Corporation.
Latest News Posts
- Assassin's Creed Origins: DLC 'The Hidden Ones' trailer
- PUBG to ban over 100,000 cheaters in one single wave
- Google hires ex PlayStation and Xbox executive Phil Harrison
- Dragon Ball FighterZ gets launch trailer days before release
- Rust will leave Steam Early Access on February 8
- Intel 760P 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Review
- Samsung 860 Pro 1TB SATA III SSD Review
- Z270-HD3 F8 bios and advanced frequency settings not available...
- Spectre Bios Updates
- Lian-Li PC-O11 WW Feedback and O11 Air Feedback
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top