Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., today unveiled its vision for 2016 during its press conference, at CES 2016. The company underlined the importance of innovation that makes a meaningful difference in people's everyday lives, and showcased its focus on the Internet of Things (IoT) as an open platform, with SmartThings technology. Samsung also revealed the new bezel-less curved SUHD TVs with Quantum dot displays, the connected Family Hub refrigerator, its newest smartwatch - the Gear S2 Premium, and a large screen Windows tablet, the Galaxy TabPro S.
"Samsung has continuously worked to help people live smarter lives, and this year we have taken a huge step forwards with our diverse, IoT-enabled products and services," said Tim Baxter, President and Chief Operating Officer of Samsung Electronics America. "We will continue to enhance consumers' quality of life by listening to their needs and strengthening our ecosystem."
Samsung delivered the press conference from a stage enhanced by its own display technology, using a large 18.3m x 4.8m curved screen, which the company designed and built using its own LED signage, to deliver immersive and ultra-realistic images of its products.
The Next Generation of Home Entertainment
Samsung unveiled its spectacular new line-up of SUHD TVs that feature unparalleled picture quality with Quantum dot display, the world's first bezel-less curved design which is beautiful from every angle and the smartest user experience that makes it easy for consumers to access all their entertainment content in one place.
Samsung's 2016 SUHD TVs feature the world's only cadmium-free, 10-bit Quantum dot display, offering the most true-to-life picture quality, with stunning brightness, exceptional contrast and the most lifelike colors ever offered by Samsung. The future of display technology, Quantum dot display converts light into nearly any color in the visible spectrum without distortion or compromising the brightness level, delivering the optimum viewing experience for consumers, regardless of the lighting environment.
This year, all of the Samsung SUHD TVs will feature the ability to provide a premium high dynamic range (HDR) experience, with 1,000 nit HDR minimum for a higher level of contrast between light and dark images. New Ultra Black technology also significantly reduces light reflection, further enhancing picture quality with minimal glare.
Built on the Tizen operating system (OS), Samsung's 2016 Smart TVs make it easier for consumers to discover and access all their favorite content and services, from TV and movies to games and program information, all-in-one place. The new Samsung Smart TV eliminates the need to juggle multiple remote controls. The Samsung Smart TV will automatically recognize the type of set-top box, game console, OTT box or home theater system that is connected to the TV. This allows users to control all of the external devices with the Smart Control remote - with no setup required.
All 2016 SUHD TVs feature IoT hub technology, developed by Samsung with SmartThings. The SUHD TV can connect with and control over 200 SmartThings compatible devices - whether it's to see who is ringing the doorbell, lock the doors or turn off the lights - all from the TV.
Samsung also unveiled the latest additions to its audio product lineup, including the HW-K950 Soundbar, the company's first to feature Dolby AtmosÂ®, and the industry's first soundbar package to include two Dolby AtmosÂ®-enabled wireless rear speakers. The complete HW-K950 package delivers incredible 5.1.4-channel sound.
The company also revealed the first Ultra HD Blu-ray Player, the HDR-compatible UBD-K8500, which offers four times the resolution and 64 times higher color expression than conventional Blu-ray players. When paired with Samsung SUHD TV's Quantum dot display, the new UHD Blu-ray player delivers a level of picture quality never before seen in the home. The UBD-K8500's built-in upscaling technology enhances the picture quality from standard Blu-ray discs and DVDs, and consumers can also play CDs. The UBD-K8500 is available for pre-order now and for purchase in March 2016 in the U.S.
Intelligent Digital Appliances Transform the Kitchen
Samsung also revealed the new Family Hub Refrigerator, a new category of IoT technology applied home appliance which helps families to connect, and provides new ways to manage, shop and prepare food. Its centerpiece is a 21.5" Full HD LCD touchscreen, a digital command center for the connected home, which combines powerful performance with ground-breaking technology never before seen in a refrigerator.
The Family Hub's Key capabilities include:
- Improved Food Management: Three built-in cameras take a photo of the inside of the refrigerator every time the door is closed so consumers can always see what they have wherever they go, via their smartphone. Samsung has also partnered with MasterCard to offer a seamless online shopping experience through the Family Hub Refrigerator. Using the app on the refrigerator's touchscreen, consumers can easily find and purchase items from multiple retailers, directly from their kitchen, all finished with a single, simple checkout process that accepts U.S.-issued credit and debit cards.
- Family Communication Center: The Samsung Family Hub Refrigerator enables the family to write notes, post photos, share calendars and artwork, right on the refrigerator's touchscreen, or using their smartphone if they are away.
- IoT Technology Enabled: As a connected Samsung product the Family Hub Refrigerator is also a truly dynamic and evolving product platform that will leverage the power of Samsung's IoT services. For example, consumers will be able to check their home's doors are locked and turn off the lights right from the Family Hub screen.
- Connected Entertainment: With the Family Hub Refrigerator's built-in stereo speakers, people can stream their favourite music service, or TV content from their Samsung Smart TVs directly to the touchscreen, as well as connecting to their own Bluetooth speakers.
Breaking Barriers in Mobile Productivity and Wearable Technology
At the CES press conference, Samsung introduced the sleek, premium Galaxy TabPro S, combining the best of the Galaxy Tab and the benefits of a Windows laptop in the thinnest and lightest 2-in-1 tablet on the market.
The TabPro S is designed to be carried around comfortably all day for powerful productivity on-the-go, and incorporates the wealth of features Windows 10 provides, together with the latest Intel Core M processor. It also features a full-size keyboard and touchpad, and a flexible hinge that enables optimal, dual-angle viewing for the clearest display in any circumstances. Additionally, the TabPro S is the first Windows tablet to offer the superior viewing experience of Samsung's Super AMOLED Display, on a 12" Full HD Plus screen, and features a fast charging capability for up to 10.5 hours of battery life. The Galaxy TabPro S is also compatible with a multiport adapter and Bluetooth Pen.
Other new mobile products announced include the Gear S2 classic smartwatch with two new unique color variants, Platinum and Rose Gold, and new collaborations with world-renowned designers such as Alessandro Mendini and Colombo. Samsung is continuously expanding its design partnerships with industry icons, as part of its commitment to offering consumers ever greater choice for a more personalized wearable experience. In addition to watch straps, Samsung has created stunning new watch faces featuring artwork from Keith Haring, Jean-Michael Basquiat, Jeremyville and Burton Morris.
The Gear S2 will also offer secure mobile payments through Samsung Pay, available in the U.S. in 2016, and is expanding its compatibility to devices running on iOS, to extend accessibility for an even wider range of mobile users.
Lastly, Samsung announced the availability of new apps from SmartThings, Uber, Yelp, eBay, CNN, Voxer and more - for both the Gear S2 and Gear S2 classic.
For more information on this press release including photos and related Samsung Newsroom articles, please visit news.samsung.com/global/samsung-electronics-showcases-innovations-that-transform-peoples-lives-at-ces-2016.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Microsoft's Xbox division earned $2.251 billion last quarter
- Amazon listing leaks Shadow of the Tomb Raider screenshots
- Far Cry 5: 2.5 million sold, digital sales 500% over Primal
- Fortnite made $223 million in March, 'king of battle royale'
- Epic: 'Battle. Adapt. Win' tease for Season 4 of Fortnite
- Gigabyte P104-100 GPU Mining Card
- ASUS STRIX H370-I GAMING (Intel H370) Motherboard Review
- Issue with X299 Taichi No video through GTX 1080ti
- GIGABYTE X470 Aorus Gaming 7 WIFI Motherboard Review
- AsRock Z97 not picking up SATA drive
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit