Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) today announced that the PlayStation4 (PS4) computer entertainment system has sold through more than 5.7 million units*1 during the 2015 holiday season*2. PS4 has now cumulatively sold through more than 35.9 million units globally as of January 3, 2016.
With robust support from users and partners from around the globe, PS4 software sales also remained strong during the 2015 holiday season*2 with more than 35 million*3 copies sold in retail stores worldwide and through digital downloads on PlayStationStore as of January 3, 2016.
In addition, 60% more users subscribed to PlayStation Plus (PS Plus) at the end of 2015*4 compared to the same period the previous year*5. Subscribers to PS Plus have access to a wide variety of features such as "Monthly Games", which allow members to play full versions of popular titles from third party developers and publishers, as well as from SCE Worldwide Studios, with no time limits or extra costs. PS4 owners have also been enjoying online multiplayer with PS Plus.
"We are absolutely delighted that so many customers have selected PS4 as the best place to play throughout this holiday season and that the PS4 community is growing more than ever," said Andrew House, President and Global CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. "We remain steadfast in our commitment to deliver innovative entertainment experiences, and look forward to bringing an unprecedented games portfolio from third party developers and publishers and SCE Worldwide Studios, including UNCHARTED 4: A Thief's End, Horizon Zero Dawn and The Last Guardian, this coming year."
Michael Ephraim, Managing Director of Sony Computer Entertainment ANZ said, "I am so pleased to see the strong momentum PS4 enjoyed during the holiday period globally was also reflected in ANZ. 2016 is set to be a great year as our line up of games looks fantastic, and we continue to expand on our already robust line up of movies, TV and music content ensuring PlayStation has something for the whole family."
SCE will continue to expand the world of PS4 to deliver entertainment experiences that are only possible on PlayStation.
The PS4 system is currently available in 124 countries and regions*6 worldwide.
*1 Number of retail sales to consumers is estimated by SCEI. PS4 sales data in Japan and Asia collected 11/23/2015 - 1/3/2016, in North America, Europe and Latin America collected 11/22/2015 - 1/2/2016.
*2 11/23/2015 - 1/3/2016 in Japan and Asia, 11/22/2015 - 1/2/2016 in North America, Latin America and Europe.
*3 Number of retail sales to consumers is estimated by SCEI. Sales data in Japan collected 2/22/2014 - 1/3/2016, in North America collected 11/15/2013 - 1/2/2016, in Europe and Latin America collected 11/29/2013 - 1/2/2016, and in Asia collected 12/17/2013 - 1/3/2015. Does not include add-on content.
*5 11/24/2015 - 12/22/2015.
*5 11/24/2014 - 12/22/2014.
*6 As of 11/16/2015.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- NeoGAF goes down, owner embroiled in sexual harrassment
- ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1070 Ti teased with triple-fan cooler
- Bitcoin hits $6000, with $100 billion in value
- Galaxy S9: 6GB RAM, headphone jack is a selling point
- Mass Effect dev: EA only cares about highest returns
- Gigabyte AB-350 G3 CPU LED & No POST after update ->rollback?
- AMD Threadripper vs. Intel Core i9 CPUs Clock for Clock
- ex58-UD3R rev 1.6
- RAID on a new X370 Fatal1ty Gaming X with m.2 SSDs using a PCIe card.
- LGA-775 GA-EP35-DS3P (rev 2.1), Q9550 e0 overclocking advice please?
- Introducing the CYBERPOWERPC Crystal Gaming Series Powered By CORSAIR
- COLORFUL Officially Releases iGame Z370 Vulcan X Motherboard in South Korea
- G.SKILL Releases DDR4-3800MHz 32GB (4x8GB) SO-DIMM Memory Kit for Mini-ITX Motherboards
- EK Water Blocks releases new Slim Series kits
- BIOSTAR releases new RACING Z370GT7 motherboard