Anton Castillo, played by Breaking Bad's Giancarlo Esposito, is the villain in Ubisoft's new tropical Far Cry 6 game. Now Ubisoft takes a closer look at Anton's twisted psychology.
In Far Cry 6, there's one main opposing force: Anton Castillo, el presidente of the Latin island-country of Yara. Castillo rules the so-called Jewel of the Caribbean with an iron fist, aiming to smite any uprisings by sheer force. This only fans the flames of revolution, igniting a full-on Cuba-esque guerrilla revolution that sees Yara's streets filled with chaos. But Anton isn't going to let up. He plans to quell the rebellion by smashing it to bits. That's where you come in as Dani Rojas, a Yara native who leads the heart of the revolution.
Far Cry's villains are some of the most captivating and interesting parts of the games. Every time they're different and a little crazy in their own way. Anton, however, is a more reserved brand of crazy.
Authoritarianism runs in his veins and his need for utter dominance and control quickly turns him into a dictator. He's fully prepared to massacre the people in order to "protect" them, as evidenced by Far Cry 6's cinematic trailer.
Anton is also a father, which makes him infinitely more dangerous. Parents will do anything for their children. In earnest, though, Anton sees himself as the father of the people, too, but Diego, his actual son, will forcibly walk in Anton's footsteps.
Now Ubisoft gives some rare insight into Anton's psychology and how his life shaped him into the emotionless and cruel autocrat he is today. And Ubisoft hints we could see Diego as a playable character in Far Cry 6, too.
"Anton Castillo is the president of Yara. He actually grew up in the seat of power. Over 50 years ago, his own father was in control of the country and Anton had to watch his father be execute by a revolution that happened on the island," said Far Cry 6 narrative director Navid Khavari.
"So that really formed his world view. It formed how he justifies keeping control on the island. You flash-forward 50 years later when he's elected with a stolen electron, you get to understand what makes Anton tick.
"What's new in this Far Cry is that the idea that Anton is not just the dictator, but he's a father as well. He has a son named Diego that he is essentially grooming to see manifest his sort of twisted vision.
"What Anton is really looking for with his son is what any father wants from their son: Pride, strength, confidence. Except the context here is that he also wants his son to rule a country the way he would.
"So when you see the trailer, you really get a window into Anton's perspective of parenting. He's passing down these very twisted lessons of how you control a population.
"What you saw in the trailer was really the first of many lessons of how to rule by Anton."
The last part is particularly interesting and could hint Diego will be a playable character. When I say this, I mean gamers could have playable story sequences where they see through the eyes of Diego. This is the best way to drive the points home. Anton could force us to do things like, say, drop a live grenade into a town square to illustrate a point.
Far Cry 6's main themes orbit revolution, freedom, and how people will push back against tyranny through any means necessary. And I think a great way to highlight those things is to make us see, experience, and be taught by Anton Castillo first hand.
Far Cry 6 will release February 18, 2021 on PS4, Xbox One and PC. It's also coming to PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X, and anyone who purchases a current-gen copy gets a next-gen copy free of charge.
Check below for more info on the game:
TRUST YOUR LEADER
Anton Castillo played by Giancarlo Esposito is promising to return the island nation of Yara back to its former prosperity while he grooms his son Diego to become the next El Presidente.
BEWARE THE DICTATOR
Anton's methods are extreme. To build the wealth of the nation for his son to inherit, he will sacrifice the freedom and lives of anyone who stands in his way.
GUERRILLAS THREATEN THE CAPITOL
Those who oppose Anton have a target on their backs. They are branded as Fake Yarans and forced into labor camps, where they are never heard from again.
GUERRILLAS STRUGGLE AGAINST MILITARY
With each passing day, Anton and Diego's power continues to grow, but the resistance remains divided and without unified leadership. The spark of revolution is in danger of being extinguished.
THE JEWEL OF THE CARIBBEAN
In its past life, Yara was a prosperous nation and a tropical paradise that attracted travelers from all over the world, excited to explore its lush jungles, pristine beaches, and sprawling capitol city.
A NATION STRANDED IN THE PAST
After revolution and decades of foreign economic sanctions and blockade, Yara has been frozen in time, forcing its people to find new ways to adapt.
In Far Cry 6, players are immersed in the adrenaline-filled, chaotic world of a modern-day guerrilla revolution. Welcome to Yara, a tropical paradise frozen in time. As dictator of Yara, Anton Castillo is intent on restoring his nation back to its former glory by any means, with his son, Diego, following in his bloody footsteps. Become a guerrilla fighter and burn their regime to the ground.
As Dani Rojas (playable as a female or male character), you will help stoke the fires of revolution through guerrilla warfare across the island of Yara, from verdant jungles to the urban streets of the capital city, Esperanza. You'll use a powerful array of weapons and vehicles, and build a network of allies to fight alongside you, including Fangs for Hire like Chorizo, the dangerously distracting wiener dog. As President Castillo prepares his son Diego, played by Anthony Gonzalez ("Coco"), to succeed him, you will do all you can to ensure his plans don't come to fruition.
- Join the revolution as Dani Rojas and liberate your nation from Anton Castillo's oppression.
- Dive into a blockbuster experience and immerse yourself in the journey of a guerrilla revolutionary.
- Explore the largest open world in Far Cry history, including the first ever sprawling urban city.
- Discover new animal companions like Chorizo, the adorable wiener dog, to take down your enemies.
- Unleash the firepower of specialized makeshift weapons and new backpacks to use against Anton's troops.
- Ignite the Fight for Freedom -Dive into a blockbuster experience as Dani Rojas, a local Yaran defending their country from a tyrant's rule. Join the revolution to push back against the oppressive regime of dictator Anton Castillo and his teenage son Diego, brought to life by Hollywood stars Giancarlo Esposito (The Mandalorian, Breaking Bad) and Anthony Gonzalez (Coco).
- Yara Torn Apart -For the first time in Far Cry, experience a sprawling capital city: Esperanza, the most expansive Far Cry playground to date. Take down Anton in the seat of his power by staying hidden or engaging Anton's army in an all-out firefight in the streets. From taking the reins of a horse to commandeering a tank, choose your favorite ride to fight against the regime or to just travel Yara in style.
- Become a Guerrilla - Jump into the action and chaos of guerrilla combat at the heart of a revolution. Employ an arsenal of unique and surprising new weapons, vehicles, and animal companions in a fight against an unyielding military regime. No guerrilla should go it alone, so pair up with an all-new animal companion like Chorizo, the adorable wiener dog who's as cute as he is lethal.
- > NEXT STORY: Final Fantasy 7 Remake part 2 may release on PlayStation 5
- < PREVIOUS STORY: Kassandra was to be Odyssey's only hero, Bayek was to die in Origins