In 8 years every Xbox One X console produces 1 ton of carbon emissions

86% of that 1 ton is from gaming use, the remaining 14% is from manufacturing.

Published Jan 28, 2020 1:38 AM CST   |   Updated Tue, Nov 3 2020 11:45 AM CST
1 minute & 14 seconds read time

Microsoft recently announced its carbon emission reduction battle plan that will eventually make the company "carbon negative".

In 8 years every Xbox One X console produces 1 ton of carbon emissions | TweakTown.com

According to Grist.org, Microsoft's largest carbon footprint device, out of every device the company makes, is the Xbox. Grist says that a spokesperson from Microsoft said that this is the case due to the amount of electricity people use while playing video games.

An example of just how much carbon this is, take the Xbox One X, each Xbox One X will produce more than 1 ton of carbon emissions over eight-years. 86% of the 1 ton is just from the Xbox One X being used, the remaining 14 percent is from manufacturing, shipping, etc.

So how are Microsoft going to combat this? According to the spokesperson, the company is currently deep diving into new technologies that will minimize the carbon footprint of the new Xbox. At the same time as doing this, Microsoft said they would be shifting to only using renewable energy and electric vehicles in their manufacturing operations. Eventually, Microsoft aims to have an Xbox that is "carbon neutral".

Spokesperson: "We are deep diving into technologies that can reduce power consumption during each usage mode".

For more information about this topic, head on over to this link here.

Buy at Amazon

Microsoft Xbox One X 1TB, 4K Ultra HD Gaming Console, Black (Renewed)

TodayYesterday7 days ago30 days ago
$429.99$399.00$317.08
* Prices last scanned on 11/27/2022 at 1:34 pm CST - prices may not be accurate, click links above for the latest price. We may earn an affiliate commission.
NEWS SOURCE:grist.org

Jak joined the TweakTown team in 2017 and has since reviewed 100s of new tech products and kept us informed daily on the latest science and space news. Jak's love for science, space, and technology, and, more specifically, PC gaming, began at 10 years old. It was the day his dad showed him how to play Age of Empires on an old Compaq PC. Ever since that day, Jak fell in love with games and the progression of the technology industry in all its forms. Instead of typical FPS, Jak holds a very special spot in his heart for RTS games.

Newsletter Subscription

    Related Tags

    Newsletter Subscription
    Latest News
    View More News
    Latest Reviews
    View More Reviews
    Latest Articles
    View More Articles