Intel will be launching its new Comet Lake-S processors in April 2020 according to the latest rumors, a new CPU family that will launch alongside the Z490 chipset and a slew of new motherboards.
The new Z490 chipset will reportedly be joined by the W480, B460, and H410 which will be destined for the workstation, business, and entry-level markets, respectively. The new flagship Z490 chipset would go hand-in-hand with the new Comet Lake-S processors which will arrive with up to 10C/20T, yet it'll still only offer PCIe 3.0 versus PCIe 4.0 offered on AMD's new X570 chipset.
Intel will be introducing a new socket with Comet Lake-S, with the new LGA 1200 socket offering 49 additional pins over the LGA 1151 socket. The new LGA 1200 socket will NOT be backwards compatible with previous-gen CPUs. But, previous-gen coolers should work, something we'll know more about next year.
Intel Comet Lake-S / Z490 Platform Features
- Up To 10 processor cores for enhanced performance
- Up To 30 PCH-H High-Speed I/O lanes for port flexibility
- Up To 40 PCIe 3.0 Lanes (16 CPU, up to 24 PCH)
- Media & Display features for premium 4K content support
- Integrated + Discrete Intel Wireless-AC (Wi-Fi/BT CNVi) Support
- Intel Wi-Fi 6 (Gig+) Support
- Enhanced Core and memory overclock
- Integrated USB 3.2 Gen 2x1 (10 Gb/s) support
- Intel Rapid Storage Technology (Intel RST)
- Programmable (Open FW SDK) Quad-Core Audio DSP
- C10 & S0ix Support for Modern Standby
- > NEXT STORY: Minecraft cross-play enabled on PS4: play with Xbox, PC, Switch, more
- < PREVIOUS STORY: Death Stranding Low-Fi: Hideo Kojima's masterpiece goes retro 8-bit