It wasn't too long ago that GameStop laid off more than 50 field leaders in their effort to reboot their entire franchise, now the company is at it again with the elimination hammer.
GameStop has made some significant job cuts this time round, firing employee's from a range of different divisions throughout the company. GameStop wrote a statement saying "As part of the previously announced GameStop Reboot initiative to transform our business for the future and improve our financial performance, we can confirm a workforce reduction was implemented impacting more than 120 corporate staff positions, representing approximately 14% of our total associate base at our company headquarters as well as at some other offices."
Not only did staff members for the corporate side of the company get fired but also several members of the Game Informer journalist branch. Some of the names you have probably heard of before: managing editor Matt Bertz, senior editor Imran Khan, senior associate editor Kyle Hilliard, senior associate editor Jeff Marchiafava, associate editor Suriel Vazquez, associate editor Elise Favis, and associate editor Javy Gwaltney have been fired.
GameStop are going full reset mode and are attempting to restructure their business to survive the wave of digital purchasing. It is not surprising that some people caught in the business cross-fire have been laid off, but 14% of total work associates is still a surprising amount of people.
The GameStop statement continues and says "While these changes are difficult, they were necessary to reduce costs and better align the organization with our efforts to optimize the business to meet our future objectives and success factors. We recognize that this is a difficult day for our company and particularly for those associates impacted. We appreciate their dedication and service to GameStop and are committed to supporting them during this time of transition."
Last updated: Sep 25, 2019 at 11:56 pm CDT
- Reggie Fils-Aime won't save Gamestop, but he'll help change it
- Gamestop execs panic internally as business sinks, plummeting morale
- PlayStation 5 specs confirmed by GameStop: 8K TV support, ray tracing
- Former Nintendo CEO, Reggie Fils-Aime joins GameStop's director board
- Gamestop's Q3 net loss is dramatically lower than last year's
- > NEXT STORY: The Joker director hints at sequel 'I would do anything with Joaquin'
- < PREVIOUS STORY: Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord sticks a landing on Steam, March 2020