Jedi: Fallen Order has always been described as an exploration game with Metroidvania-style elements, like revisiting areas with new powers to unlock goodies or gear. But those features really haven't been demonstrated very well.
Today Respawn released the full Jedi: Fallen Order gameplay shown to press at E3 2019. Many say this footage better illustrates the game's Metroid-style level traversal, which implies forking paths, unlockable areas, and secrets. But we didn't really see much difference than the original footage; the game still looks quite linear, even if it gave small glimpses and affirmations of off-world travel (which is something that was already confirmed a bit ago).
If anything, the footage underlines the cinematic scope of the game and further brings to mind Uncharted's larger-than-life action sequences and puzzle solving (albeit in a more light manner). Not the confusing, often-gated labyrinthine exploration of a Metroid game.
Sure we see Cal take a different path in the footage, but it's not really a forking path where you could go either way. You literally have to go that way to restore the power to a metal wall so you can wall-run across it and proceed. It's not actually a secondary path, but more of an example of what I'd like to call "indirect linearity," or a side-step that's only really there to create the illusion of a side path, but in reality it's just part of the main trajectory.
The footage is welcomed, of course, but it's still not a good way to exemplify the kind of elements Respawn said were in the game. We didn't see Cal double-jump up a ledge or use a special ability to access a secret zone and grab a fancy new upgrade. We didn't see him delve into a strange temple to unearth a hidden relic.
We didn't see the padawan--who wields his lightsaber like a highly-skilled Jedi--use Force pull to move some ruined husk of twisted metal to get to a special area or even a shortcut. Respawn says these kinds of things are in the game, but we just haven't seen them yet.
Check out the footage to make up your own mind:
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order is due out on November 15, 2019 on PS4, Xbox One, and PC.
Check below for more information:
A galaxy-spanning adventure awaits in Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order™, a new third-person action-adventure title from Respawn Entertainment. This narratively driven, single-player game puts you in the role of a Jedi Padawan who narrowly escaped the purge of Order 66 following the events of Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith. On a quest to rebuild the Jedi Order, you must pick up the pieces of your shattered past to complete your training, develop new powerful Force abilities and master the art of the iconic lightsaber - all while staying one step ahead of the Empire and its deadly Inquisitors.
While mastering your abilities, players will engage in cinematically charged lightsaber and Force combat designed to deliver the kind of intense Star Wars lightsaber battles as seen in the films. Players will need to approach enemies strategically, sizing up strengths and weaknesses while cleverly utilizing your Jedi training to overcome your opponents and solve the mysteries that lay in your path.
Star Wars fans will recognize iconic locations, weapons, gear and enemies while also meeting a roster of fresh characters, locations, creatures, droids and adversaries new to Star Wars. As part of this authentic Star Wars story, fans will delve into a galaxy recently seized by the Empire. As a Jedi hero-turned-fugitive, players will need to fight for survival while exploring the mysteries of a long-extinct civilization all in an effort to rebuild the remnants of the Jedi Order as the Empire seeks to erase the Jedi completely.
- Cinematic, Immersive Combat - Jedi: Fallen Order delivers the fantasy of becoming a Jedi through its innovative lightsaber combat system-striking, parrying, dodging-partnered with a suite of powerful Force abilities you'll need to leverage to overcome obstacles that stand in your way. This combat system is intuitive but takes training and practice to fully master its nuances as you gain new powers and abilities along your adventure.
- A New Jedi Story Begins - As a former Padawan on the run from the Empire, you must complete your training before Imperial Inquisitors discover your plan to revive the Jedi Order. Aided by a former Jedi Knight, a cantankerous pilot and a fearless droid, you must escape the evil machinations of the Empire in a story-driven adventure. Explore and overcome a wide range of challenges focused on combat, exploration and puzzle-solving.
- The Galaxy Awaits - Ancient forests, windswept rock faces and haunted jungles are all unique biomes you'll explore in Jedi: Fallen Order, with the freedom to decide when and where you go next. As you unlock new powers and abilities, opportunities open up to re-traverse maps in new ways; leveraging the Force to augment the way you explore. Move quickly, however, as the Empire is actively hunting your every step in their effort to exterminate all remnants of the Jedi Order.
- > NEXT STORY: Alienware boss leaves to join AMD as Chief Gaming Officer
- < PREVIOUS STORY: Tons of new Cyberpunk 2077 details revealed