Pokemon Detective Pikachu has finally released and has been met with some criticism by fans, but regardless of everyones thoughts of the movie the title has claimed a spot as the highest grossing video game movie in an opening weekend.
According to Box Office Mojo and the above Box Office Report, the Ryan Reynolds starred movie Pokemon Detective Pikachu has reached an estimated "$103.0M internationally since Wednesday". The source of the movies International revenue through Sunday includes; China - $40.8M, Japan - $12.9M, U.K. - $6.6M, Germany - $5.0M, Mexico - $5.0M, France - $4.8M, Australia - $3.5M, S. Korea - $3.2M, Italy - $2.8M and Spain - $2.2M.
Since Pokemon Detective Pikachu is now sitting at the top for biggest opening weekend ever for a video game based movie, who has the movie de-throned? According to MyNintendoNews, the second biggest opening weekend for a video game franchise movie was Angelina Jolie's Tomb Raider. Tomb Raider only manged to pull in $47 million in its opening weekend. In total global standards, Pokemon Detective Pikachu has grossed $170.4M and only seems like its climbing higher.
Last updated: Dec 19, 2019 at 11:01 am CST
- Pokemon Home costs $16 a year, but there's a free version too
- 200 classic Pokemon coming to Sword and Shield in $30 expansion pass
- Pokemon Home will cost money, coming in February
- Pokemon Sword and Shield sold 16 million copies in one month
- Pokemon boycott didn't work, Sword and Shield sell 6 million copies
- > NEXT STORY: Wolfenstein: Youngblood isn't a timed Epic Store exclusive
- < PREVIOUS STORY: A Super Smash Bros. movie requires an Avengers size universe