TweakTown
TRENDING NOW: Sony should unveil PlayStation 5 pricing, open pre-orders on August 6

Only 8% of PC games sold last year were physical, 92% sold digitally

Only 8% of PC games sold last year were physical, 92% were sold digitally.

@anthony256
Anthony Garreffa
Published Tue, Aug 19 2014 2:31 AM CDT   |   Updated Tue, Jun 16 2020 4:29 PM CDT

When was the last time you purchased a game for your PC from an actual retailer? If you're like me, every game you purchase is digital - either through Steam, Origin or even a service like GOG.com. Well, according to DFC Intelligence, 92% of PC game sales for last year were digital, leaving just 8% to physical copies.

Only 8% of PC games sold last year were physical, 92% sold digitally | TweakTown.com

Payday 2 publisher Starbreeze saw 80% of its first-month sales of 1.58 million copies being digital. But then titles like DotA 2 and DayZ were completely digital, adding to that huge 92%. Rewinding back to 2010, digital PC sales made up 48% of all PC sales, so we've seen a huge increase of 44% over the last three years.

But then powerhouse publisher EA has only seen 20% of its total sales being digital, but EA have titles on virtually every platform available to gamers, with games in both physical, and digital form.

NEWS SOURCE:arstechnica.com

Anthony is a long time PC enthusiast with a passion of hate for games built around consoles. FPS gaming since the pre-Quake days, where you were insulted if you used a mouse to aim, he has been addicted to gaming and hardware ever since. Working in IT retail for 10 years gave him great experience with custom-built PCs. His addiction to GPU tech is unwavering.

Related Tags

Newsletter Subscription

Latest News

View More News

Latest Reviews

View More Reviews

Latest Articles

View More Articles