Setting Up Networking
Right, now settle down; you may be excited that you are playing with Linux on your Playstation 3, but right now it's still pretty useless. Let's get the network running so you can go online and tell your friend(s) how awesome Linux on the PS3 is, and maybe look at some porn for good measure.
To simplify things, I will refer to the round button to access the menus as "Start".
Click Start > Applications > System Tools > System Config > Network Config
Enter the root password (this is the administrator password you set up earlier, not your user password).
Double click eth0 and then select the wireless tab at the top of the menu.
Specify your wireless network's SSID name and input your WEP password with "0x" before it.
NB: At the time of writing with the PS3 2.0 firmware update, it has crippled the network hardware in Linux. Normally there should be a wired as well as wireless device in the list.
Click OK to finish, then select eth0 and click "Activate".
If all has gone well, you should now have internet access and you can open up Firefox and do a little surfing.
The next important thing to do is updates. Go to :-
Start > Apps > System Tools > Software Management > Software Updater
Enter the root password again (get used to doing this in Linux). The updater will look for available updates and once it has a list, you can click "apply".
This is a prime opportunity for another cup of tea, but by this time you may need to make a fresh pot. Rinse out the teapot with hot water and draw more fresh water to boil in the kettle.
Once the updates are finished, you are ready to roll! Well.... almost...
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- ONRUSH gameplay trailer reveals new game modes
- YouTube star John 'TotalBiscuit' Bain has died age 33
- God of War reaches a massive 5 million units sold
- The Wolf Among Us Season Two hit with 2019 delay
- Nintendo's '2nd Unit Set' for the Switch is dockless, $230
- the best value, budget upgrade for me
- best value budget upgrade path
- Buy 3 Pieces Samsung Galaxy S9 SM-G960UZKAXAA 128GB $1.422
- X58a-ud5 rev 1.0 Bios with VT-d support
- HyperX FURY DDR4-3466 16GB Dual-Channel Memory Kit Review
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit