Setting Up Networking
Right, now settle down; you may be excited that you are playing with Linux on your Playstation 3, but right now it's still pretty useless. Let's get the network running so you can go online and tell your friend(s) how awesome Linux on the PS3 is, and maybe look at some porn for good measure.
To simplify things, I will refer to the round button to access the menus as "Start".
Click Start > Applications > System Tools > System Config > Network Config
Enter the root password (this is the administrator password you set up earlier, not your user password).
Double click eth0 and then select the wireless tab at the top of the menu.
Specify your wireless network's SSID name and input your WEP password with "0x" before it.
NB: At the time of writing with the PS3 2.0 firmware update, it has crippled the network hardware in Linux. Normally there should be a wired as well as wireless device in the list.
Click OK to finish, then select eth0 and click "Activate".
If all has gone well, you should now have internet access and you can open up Firefox and do a little surfing.
The next important thing to do is updates. Go to :-
Start > Apps > System Tools > Software Management > Software Updater
Enter the root password again (get used to doing this in Linux). The updater will look for available updates and once it has a list, you can click "apply".
This is a prime opportunity for another cup of tea, but by this time you may need to make a fresh pot. Rinse out the teapot with hot water and draw more fresh water to boil in the kettle.
Once the updates are finished, you are ready to roll! Well.... almost...
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Samsung's new GDDR6 should power next-gen GeForce RTX 2080
- Resident Evil 2 Premium Edition costs a huge $900
- AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX overclocked to 6GHz with LN2
- Dishonored series is sleeping for now, says Arkane
- Bandai Namco may be making a new horror game
- Buy (2Pieces) Samsung Galaxy Note9/S9/S9+/S8+ New $800
- Fnatic miniSTREAK Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Buy (20 Pieces) Apple iPhone 8 Plus/8/7 Plus/7/6s Plus New $2000
- RAID 0 on a really old Motherboard
- Z97-UD5H-BK: Modded BIOS for NVME support
- Samsung's 16Gb GDDR6 Memory Powers Latest NVIDIA Quadro Professional Graphics Solution
- NVIDIA to Collaborate with DARPA to Develop Systems for Post-Moore's Law Era
- New Turing-Based Design Revolutionizes Workflow of Millions of Designers and Artists on the Desktop and in the Datacenter
- Hybrid Rendering Fundamentally Changes Computer Graphics by Fusing Real-Time Ray Tracing, AI, Simulation and Rasterization
- AMD Launches World's Most Powerful Desktop Processor: Bigger, Better 2nd Generation AMD Ryzen Threadripper Processors Break Boundaries of High-End Desktop Market