For the last few months, I've been ramping up towards a big change for the content that I do here at TweakTown, as I wasn't content with 'just' benchmarking 4K and 3440x1440 resolutions. I wanted to push into 8K but needed a slew of new hardware to pull it off.
Off I went securing a bunch of new hardware to run 7680x4320, which began with the Core i7-7700K (and then will continue with the new Core i9 processors, and the AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X sitting next to me). For now, I'm going to be using the Core i7-7700K overclocked to 5GHz as it's more suited to gaming, while the Threadripper 1950X CPU will be tested in our next article.
We'll have detailed specs on the system used on the next page, but onto the resolution that we're testing here: 8K. 8K might seem like it's twice as much as 4K, because - well, 4+4 = 8... but it's far more pixels than you think. 8K is 4x the pixels of 4K and 16x the pixels of 1080p. This means if you look at your 1080p TV, you'd have to have 16 of them to have the pixels that are bursting around the place at 8K. It's an incredible feat.
I have Dell's new UP3218K display, which is the only native 8K monitor on the market. There are other tests done on other sites and by YouTubers at "8K", but it's not native 8K. You can run 8K by running 200% resolution on your game on a 4K monitor (200% on top of 4K renders the game at 7680x4320), but it's still not native.
Then there's NVIDIA's Dynamic Super Resolution (DSR) and AMD's Virtual Super Resolution (VSR). These technologies are the same as running 200% at 4K, rendering the game at 8K. But, it's nowhere near the same as running it on a native 8K panel which requires 2 x DP 1.4 cables just to run.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon`s website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK`s website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada`s website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [8K: More Than Just A Number]
- Page 3 [TITAN Xp: HOLY BALLS FAST]
- Page 4 [Dell UP3218K: Best Display Ever?!]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Samsung bows out of the Blu-ray player market in the US
- NVIDIA's gaming division bleeds out, revenues down 45%
- AMD rumored to launch 7nm Navi GPUs on 7/7
- Get caught up in 'Girl in the Spider's Web' Blu-ray giveaway
- Activision: Destiny was tying up our resources
- Z77X-UD5H Bios Issue When Setting CPU Multiplier Above 44
- Resident Evil 2 Remake Review: Fright Night
- HELP !!!! ASROCK Z77 PRO3 "NON-K OC MENU" disappeared :-(
- GeIL Super Luce RGB Sync DDR4-3200 16GB Memory Kit Review
- ASRock Multi-Gigabit Performance: 10GbE/5GbE/2.5G Networking
- BundleFest is coming - Get ready for the biggest bundle event of the year
- Team NINJA Announces DEAD OR ALIVE 6 Deluxe Demo, World Championship, and SNK Collaboration
- Bandai Namco Entertainment America Inc. Launches Jump Force; The Ultimate Manga Crossover Extravaganza
- The Escape Room Puzzle Game Themed On The Seven Deadly Sins Will Hit Steam On Feb 28th
- [01Studio] Indie MMORPG - Citywars Savage