For the last few months, I've been ramping up towards a big change for the content that I do here at TweakTown, as I wasn't content with 'just' benchmarking 4K and 3440x1440 resolutions. I wanted to push into 8K but needed a slew of new hardware to pull it off.
Off I went securing a bunch of new hardware to run 7680x4320, which began with the Core i7-7700K (and then will continue with the new Core i9 processors, and the AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X sitting next to me). For now, I'm going to be using the Core i7-7700K overclocked to 5GHz as it's more suited to gaming, while the Threadripper 1950X CPU will be tested in our next article.
We'll have detailed specs on the system used on the next page, but onto the resolution that we're testing here: 8K. 8K might seem like it's twice as much as 4K, because - well, 4+4 = 8... but it's far more pixels than you think. 8K is 4x the pixels of 4K and 16x the pixels of 1080p. This means if you look at your 1080p TV, you'd have to have 16 of them to have the pixels that are bursting around the place at 8K. It's an incredible feat.
I have Dell's new UP3218K display, which is the only native 8K monitor on the market. There are other tests done on other sites and by YouTubers at "8K", but it's not native 8K. You can run 8K by running 200% resolution on your game on a 4K monitor (200% on top of 4K renders the game at 7680x4320), but it's still not native.
Then there's NVIDIA's Dynamic Super Resolution (DSR) and AMD's Virtual Super Resolution (VSR). These technologies are the same as running 200% at 4K, rendering the game at 8K. But, it's nowhere near the same as running it on a native 8K panel which requires 2 x DP 1.4 cables just to run.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon`s website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK`s website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada`s website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [8K: More Than Just A Number]
- Page 3 [TITAN Xp: HOLY BALLS FAST]
- Page 4 [Dell UP3218K: Best Display Ever?!]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Left Alive is Square Enix's shot at survival mech action
- Rocket League Autumn Update available September 28
- Synology introduces new XS, Value and Series NAS
- ASUS introduce the ROG Strix Fusion 300 gaming headset
- Divinity: Original Sin 2 launch nearly didn't happen
- AMD X399 TR4 Threadripper Motherboard Buyer's Guide
- Gigabyte System Information Viewer
- ASRock X399 Professional Gaming Motherboard Review
- Permanent Fix for Beebox Wifi Design Flaws
- ASUS H97-Plus Various Boot Issues
- In Win Launches 'Wood-infused' 305 Mid-Tower PC Chassis
- Micron appoints Anand Jayapalan as Storage Business Unit Vice President
- Bluehole, Inc and Microsoft announce expanded partnership for PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
- Optimize system performance with new drive adapter
- Lian Li reveals new PC-Q39 tempered glass Mini-ITX tower