When Intel launched their new Broadwell-E i7-6XXX series processors for the LGA2011-v3 socket, interest in X99 was reborn. Since the X99 chipset has been around for quite a long time, and Broadwell-E CPUs can work with existing X99 motherboards, it has become even harder for motherboard manufacturers to differentiate themselves from their competitors.
All of this is great news for consumers since motherboard manufacturers are now forced to pull out all the tricks. A new wave of X99 motherboards launched in the past few weeks and ASUS sent over their brand new ROG STRIX X99 GAMING. I believe this is the first time ASUS has used their GPU STRIX brand on a motherboard, and it's no surprise since some manufacturers have been experimenting with combining their GPU and motherboard branding.
At first glance one of the main attractions of the STRIX X99 GAMING is its RGB LEDs. Split into a multitude of sections, clusters of RGBs can be controlled to produce some crazy LED effects. When it came to color, ASUS didn't let the buck stop with the RGBs; included in the package are four sets of colored panels for the PCH heat sink and IO shield, to help users change the color of the motherboard without having to rely on RGBs. Apart from RGBs, the STRIX X99 GAMING has a lot of great features, and today we take a look at everything this new ASUS X99 refresh model has to offer.
The ASUS STRIX X99 GAMING is loaded with features, most are from the PCH, but a lot of the features have been added after the fact to help differentiate the motherboard from previous X99 models. For starters, the motherboard carries USB 3.1 type-A and type-C, 2x2 WirelessAC with MU-MIMO support, 4x PCI-E 3.0 U.2/M.2, and ASUS's Supreme FX audio.
The ROG STRIX X99 GAMING is available from many large retailers for $338.99.
PRICING: You can find the ASUS ROG STRIX X99 GAMING (Intel X99) Motherboard for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The ASUS ROG STRIX X99 GAMING (Intel X99) Motherboard retails for $361 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The ASUS ROG STRIX X99 GAMING (Intel X99) Motherboard retails for £266 at Amazon UK.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and ROG STRIX X99 GAMING Overview]
- Page 3 [ASUS ROG STRIX X99 GAMING Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [ASUS ROG STRIX X99 GAMING Circuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Thermal Imaging and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Germany to Facebook: Stop collecting Whatsapp user data
- OBS Studio adds support for AMD Video Coding Engine
- Halo 5, Forza Horizon 3 first games with Microsoft DRM
- How to get 1TB of lifetime cloud storage for only $39
- NASA finds strong evidence of water plumes on Europa
- GA-EX58-UD3R Vt-d support
- Seagate IronWolf 10TB NAS HDD Review
- Fitbit Charge 2 Fitness Band Review
- Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SATA III SSD Review
- Mirror's Edge Catalyst Graphics Performance Tweak Guide
- Antec and Razer team up to co-brand a new Mini-ITX gaming chassis
- Lighting is in the Aer: NZXT launches Aer RGB, premium LED PWM fans
- Syber Gaming delivers VR and 4K-ready 'C Series' small form factor gaming PC
- HyperX Gears of War gaming headset shipping now