While the primary focus of this review is solely placed on the latest two-bay NAS appliance from Synology, the DS716+, I also thought it would be appropriate to take a gander at the latest DSM firmware or operating system from Synology. NAS vendors are always at work to push their OS to the next level, and anyone that has owned a Synology NAS knows they release updates at least once per month or more.
Over the last few years, Synology has been hard at work to bring you what has now been launched as DiskStation Manager 6.0. This NAS software brings many advancements to the Synology platform, but before I dive into those details, we must get back on track with the 716+ itself.
The DS716+ is a two-bay solution aimed at growing small and medium business. This NAS is built on the Intel Braswell platform and more specifically the Celeron N3150. This NAS features dual Gigabit LAN for failover or link aggregation while additional drives can be added through the use of the DX213 or DX513 and the rear mounted eSATA port. Also, the Synology DS716+ supports three USB 3.0 devices - two via the rear of the unit and one on the front for quick backups.
The specifications of the DS716+ include the Intel Celeron N3150, a quad-core processor operating at 1.6GHz with burst speed set at 2.08GHz. This processor has both a floating point and AES-NI hardware encryption engine along with its hardware transcoding capabilities with several formats including H.264 AVC, MPEG-2, and VC-1.
Synology has paired the N3150 with 2GB of DDR3 from the factory, but it is upgradable via the single SO-DIMM slot on the motherboard. With this unit being a two-bay solution, capacity is restricted to 16TB via two 8TB drives, but with expansion units like the DX513, it can reach a massive 56TB. With this NAS running DSM 6.0, you now have access to the BTRFS file system for both internal and external drives while dual gigabit NICs allow for failover or increased performance with 802.3ad.
PRICING: You can find the Synology DiskStation DS716+ SMB Two-Bay NAS for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The Synology DiskStation DS716+ SMB Two-Bay NAS retails for $496 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The Synology DiskStation DS716+ SMB Two-Bay NAS retails for £340 at Amazon UK.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- $32 million of Ethereum stolen by hackers
- Fake AMD Ryzen CPUs have been sent by Amazon
- Avast acquires CCleaner and Speeccy developer Piriform
- Ubisoft hints AC Origins' RPG elements will be monetized
- Google Pixel XL 2 looks amazing in the new concept video
- Cryptocurrency mining deflates, used GPUs hit eBay
- G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3600 32GB Memory Kit Review
- ASRock X299 Taichi Motherboard Review
- Transcend ESD220C 120GB Portable SSD Review
- Need help getting backup bios to work z77 d3h
- Atari announces Blade Runner 2049 partnership with NECA and Audiowear, launching wearable technology that blurs the line between fashion and future
- BIOSTAR introduces the world's first 8-slot PCI-e mining motherboard with the TB250-BTC+
- HyperX unveils HyperX Alloy Elite and TKL HyperX Alloy FPS Pro mechanical gaming keyboards
- Toshiba Memory Corporation develops world's first 3D flash memory with TSV technology
- ADATA releases XPG GAMMIX line with S10 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1.2 SSD and D10 DDR4