Mechanically, the KM780 RGB is as solid as they come. There are no vibrations felt across the plate, and everything is bolted to the main section well, and nothing feels cheap. The brown switches are quiet and smooth, as not to wake anyone while you may game right next to them, and using built-in LEDs into clear housings put on the most brilliant lighting display we have ever seen in a keyboard. In our time with this product, we have no issues with its form or its functionality, and with a comfortable wrist rest and optional caps set, you can totally personalize this keyboard to fit your every last need and want in comfort.
The software is pretty straightforward except for two aspects. Most software will keep your settings, and this software makes you save any changes to the onboard memory of this mouse. That isn't a bad thing entirely, but we did forget a few times and had to go back and redo a lot of work. The second screwy thing is the way the lighting is set up. Without a lighting profile addressed first, you cannot do much of anything to change the LEDs. This is workable but very counter-intuitive. With that said, we still found controls for everything we needed, and even for some things we don't ever mess with. Also, on a similar note, testing 6-KRO and NKRO support, both work as intended, and anti-ghosting testing passed as well.
This is the first we have seen individual key LED programmability, others write something similar to the box, but this is the first actually to do as described. To be honest, we found the sweeping Wave, as it passed a rainbow of colors across the keys, to be what we used most, but we know there are tons of users waiting to get a go at a keyboard with the options this has. They offer you a solid product, they fill the box with all kinds of extra goodies, and as a whole, the G.SKILL KM780 RGB is the most feature rich offering we have ever tested, and with lesser boards that cost more, doing the math is pretty easy to see the massive value in this keyboard at $159.99. Yes, it is a bit rich for some, but you cannot get the same setup for less.
Chad's Peripherals Test System Specifications
- Motherboard: ASUS X99-E WS - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- CPU: Intel Core i7 5930K - Buy from Amazon
- Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Memory: KLevv Cras DDR4 3000 - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Video Card: ASUS GeForce GTX 980 Matrix Platinum - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Storage: Intel 730 480GB - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Case: SilverStone TJ11 - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Power Supply: Corsair AX1200 - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional 64-bit - Buy from Amazon
Product Summary Breakdown
|Quality including Design and Build||96%|
|Bundle and Packaging||100%|
|Value for Money||95%|
|Overall TweakTown Rating||98%|
The Bottom Line: The software may be a tad quirky, but what G.SKILL delivers in the Ripjaws KM780 RGB is almost amazing! Not only do you have full control of every aspect of lighting and functionality, but you get every accessory needed and a LED display that is bolder and brighter than anything we have ever seen.
PRICING: You can find the G.SKILL Ripjaws KM780 RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The G.SKILL Ripjaws KM780 RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard retails for $164 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.