In early April of this year, we had a look at the ASUSTOR AS5102T, a two bay prosumer appliance that after testing we gave our "best performance award". The AS5004T we are looking at today comes from the same 5000 series of appliances from ASUSTOR and features the same Intel Bay Trail platform at its heart.
Bay Trail is perhaps the largest upgrade to the NAS market since vendors started putting Atom processors in appliances a number of years ago. With Bay Trail, and more specifically the J1800 with the AS5004T, ASUSTOR adds to its lineup with Quick Sync Video Technology, adding a hardware encoding engine for quick transcoding of all sorts of media.
With the AS5004T, ASUSTOR is touting an energy efficient NAS platform with marketing numbers that say it's capable of producing read/write speeds up to 112 MB/s. With the J1800 at the center in this appliance, ASUSTOR has also paired with it 1GB of DDR3L. This memory is upgradable to 8GB by simply removing the panel in a two step procedure. Like many modern NAS platforms, the AS5004T is part storage and part media hub. ASUSTOR does this by utilizing XBMC Kodi supporting 1080p HD and 5.1/7.1 Multi Channel Audio.
Above, we have the full system specification pulled from the ASUSTOR website. As you can see, we have the Intel Celeron J1800 SoC running at 2.4GHz with a boost clock of 2.58GHz paired with 1GB of DDR3L. Adding to this, we have four bays that are hot swappable, along with three USB 3.0 ports, dual USB 2.0 and two eSATA. Connectivity goes on further adding dual gigabit LAN ports in addition to a single HDMI 1.4a port and S/PDIF connection. Power consumption of this unit is rated at 31 watts in operation, while hibernation is listed at 12 watts and sleep mode at just 1.8 watts.
The ASUSTOR AS5004T carries an MSRP of $439.99 with a three-year warranty.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [ASUSTOR AS5004T NAS Appliance]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and Web Management]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Single Client Throughput]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Sequential Workloads]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - SMB Workloads]
- Page 7 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Surgeon Simulator ER is out on Steam and PSVR
- ESA extends ISS participation to 2024
- AMD Radeon GPU tech will power Intel's next-gen iGPUs
- Titanfall 2 infographic reveal interesting information
- Apple's new MacBook Pro has crappy battery life
- Mouse skipping/jumping and audio stuttering
- [Bios problem, manual Vcore] Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 3-EU
- Strontium iDrive Nitro Lightning 64GB Card Reader Review
- Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z170 Fan control & PWM issue
- Gigabyte gaming 5 z170mx cant enable raid need help
- Micron accelerates adoption of all-flash data centers with highest-capacity enterprise SATA Solid State Drive
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand