We will start off by running several CPU benchmarks to get an idea of what the processing power is with the Intel i7-4800MQ.
For all of these tests, we have turned off SpeedStep in the BIOS and set the W540 up for performance. The W540 was plugged in for all of these tests so that power use would not be an issue.
CINEBENCH is a real-world cross platform test suite that evaluates your computer's performance capabilities. The test scenario uses all of your system's processing power to render a photorealistic 3D scene. This scene makes use of various different algorithms to stress all available processor cores. You can also run this test with a single-core mode to give a single-core rating.
We get our first look at CPU power in this Cinebench 11.5 benchmark. This is a good score for a CPU like this and does show that even in a mobile workstation, you can pack serious CPU power.
Just like in the Cinebench 11.5 results, we see a lower single-threaded score and a much higher multi-threaded score.
Again, we look at impressive Cinebench R15 scores.
wPrime is a leading multithreaded benchmark for x86 processors that tests your processor performance. This is a great test to use to rate the system speed; it also works as a stress test to see how well the system cooling is performing.
This test puts a heavy load on the system and can stress the system's cooling ability. We had CPUz open through the whole test and did not see any throttling. This shows again that the W540 has a very robust cooling system inside.
AIDA64 memory bandwidth benchmarks (Memory Read, Memory Write, and Memory Copy) measure the maximum achievable memory data transfer bandwidth.
Our W540 has only one stick of RAM installed, so we do not see any improvements for dual- or quad-channel memory here. Installing more RAM would improve this score.
LinX 0.6.4 is a CPU benchmark that measures floating-point operations per second, and is used to compare CPU performance; it is also a very good stress test to run.
It's surprising to us that, with one stick of RAM installed, we see bandwidth this high. Lenovo has done a great job at the optimization of the motherboard for the W540. Adding additional RAM will also improve this score.
Just like wPrime, LinX puts a very heavy load on the system and can stress the cooling system. Again, we had CPUz open through the whole test and did not see any throttling of the CPU.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction & Specifications]
- Page 2 [Packaging]
- Page 3 [Temperatures, Cooling and Noise]
- Page 4 [Bundled Software]
- Page 5 [BIOS]
- Page 6 [Keyboard and Screen]
- Page 7 [Accessory Port Layout and Upgrading]
- Page 8 [Testing Methodology]
- Page 9 [CPU and Memory Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [System Benchmarks]
- Page 11 [Power Consumption and Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4GHz, 1800X performance for $329
- NVIDIA has 70.5% GPU market share, AMD has 29.5%
- AMD Radeon RX 580 benchmarks leaked, is this Vega?
- Nintendo Switch supports remote game downloads
- Nintendo Switch left JoyCons have connection issues
- BIOSTAR RACING B250GT5 Unboxing and User Experience
- ASUS MAXIMUS IX FORMULA A2 Error Code with Hardware Component Failure Beeps
- Does anyone from Thermaltake view this forum anymore?
- Is any one from Thermaltake viewing this forum anymore?
- Lian Li A61 5.25 devices
- ASRock launches a new era of performance with AMD Ryzen motherboards
- Nintendo eShop, Indie Games Ready for Nintendo Switch Launch
- Innovation and competition return to high-performance PCs March 2nd with worldwide AMD Ryzen 7 availability
- Final Fantasy awarded Guinness World Records title for most prolific role-playing game
- InstaVR launches publishing compatibility with HTC VIVE, cnabling companies to create high quality long-form VR video applications