We will start off by running several CPU benchmarks to get an idea of what the processing power is with the Intel i7-4800MQ.
For all of these tests, we have turned off SpeedStep in the BIOS and set the W540 up for performance. The W540 was plugged in for all of these tests so that power use would not be an issue.
CINEBENCH is a real-world cross platform test suite that evaluates your computer's performance capabilities. The test scenario uses all of your system's processing power to render a photorealistic 3D scene. This scene makes use of various different algorithms to stress all available processor cores. You can also run this test with a single-core mode to give a single-core rating.
We get our first look at CPU power in this Cinebench 11.5 benchmark. This is a good score for a CPU like this and does show that even in a mobile workstation, you can pack serious CPU power.
Just like in the Cinebench 11.5 results, we see a lower single-threaded score and a much higher multi-threaded score.
Again, we look at impressive Cinebench R15 scores.
wPrime is a leading multithreaded benchmark for x86 processors that tests your processor performance. This is a great test to use to rate the system speed; it also works as a stress test to see how well the system cooling is performing.
This test puts a heavy load on the system and can stress the system's cooling ability. We had CPUz open through the whole test and did not see any throttling. This shows again that the W540 has a very robust cooling system inside.
AIDA64 memory bandwidth benchmarks (Memory Read, Memory Write, and Memory Copy) measure the maximum achievable memory data transfer bandwidth.
Our W540 has only one stick of RAM installed, so we do not see any improvements for dual- or quad-channel memory here. Installing more RAM would improve this score.
LinX 0.6.4 is a CPU benchmark that measures floating-point operations per second, and is used to compare CPU performance; it is also a very good stress test to run.
It's surprising to us that, with one stick of RAM installed, we see bandwidth this high. Lenovo has done a great job at the optimization of the motherboard for the W540. Adding additional RAM will also improve this score.
Just like wPrime, LinX puts a very heavy load on the system and can stress the cooling system. Again, we had CPUz open through the whole test and did not see any throttling of the CPU.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction & Specifications]
- Page 2 [Packaging]
- Page 3 [Temperatures, Cooling and Noise]
- Page 4 [Bundled Software]
- Page 5 [BIOS]
- Page 6 [Keyboard and Screen]
- Page 7 [Accessory Port Layout and Upgrading]
- Page 8 [Testing Methodology]
- Page 9 [CPU and Memory Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [System Benchmarks]
- Page 11 [Power Consumption and Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Life is Strange getting a live-action episodic series
- Nintendo financials plunge, even with Pokemon GO's immense success
- Crucial expands its affordable MX300 SSD range with 3 new drives
- AMD Radeon Pro graphics card powers 16K display, or 15,360 x 8640
- Microsoft will use Windows 10 to sabotage Steam, says Epic Games boss
- PW-IE20AH51T0 compatible with PC-G70 ?
- D-Link DIR-879 EXO AC1900 Wireless Router Review
- Asrock z77 Extreme 6 Ram Overclocking Stuck at 2000mhz
- MDD BP5e 480GB M.2 SATA III SSD Review
- ASRock Beebox-S (Intel Core i5-6200U) Mini PC Review
- Polaris Nitro-charged - introducing the SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX 480
- AccelStor debuting NeoSapphire 3706-ES1 at Flash Memory Summit 2016
- Elitegroup ceremoniously launches ECS H110S-2P mini-STX motherboard and the all-new LIVA Pro Mini PC
- MSI announces custom GeForce GTX 1060 graphics cards
- Seagate unveils the industry's broadest 10TB portfolio