The Lenovo ThinkPad W540 mobile workstation will come in this standard shipping box. It's a fairly basic box with no product descriptions on the outside. The backside had the shipping label and a caution label printed on the box about this product containing a Lithium Ion battery. Do not load or transport package if damaged.
After opening the box, we find the laptop itself well-padded with foam inserts and the laptop itself wrapped in an anti-static bag. The foam inserts provide plenty of space between the laptop and the shipping box to avoid any damage that might occur from box piercings during shipping.
After taking the system out of the shipping foam and bag, we get our first look at the Lenovo ThinkPad W540 mobile workstation.
The first impression is that the W540 is fairly light, weighing in at 5.57lbs. The case is made of a carbon-fiber-plastic material, and the surface texture has a matte feel to it; it's not very shiny, but overall, it has a high quality feel to it.
We also noticed that the hinges that the display flips open and closed with are made of metal and appear to be very strong. It would not flex around after opening.
Taking out the rest of the shipping contents, we find the battery at the top of the picture. It is not as big as we would have expected, and measures in at 8.5x2.5x0.75 inches.
Then we see the power brick and power cable. Simply plug the power cable into the power brick and then into your wall socket.
Here is the software and the pamphlets that come with the W540. The first pamphlet tells you how to get the W540 up and running, which is straightforward. The second pamphlet has information on how to upgrade the W540 to Windows 8.
The package of DVDs contains five DVDs. These are for upgrading to Windows 8 if you decide to. One of the pamphlets describes how to do this, which sounds simple enough. Please be sure to read through this very carefully if you decide to upgrade to Windows 8.
The upgrade pamphlets tells us that a WWAN firmware update for your mobile broadband mini card needs to be done before upgrading to Windows 8, if you have one installed. We decided to keep Windows 7 installed on this unit for the time being.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction & Specifications]
- Page 2 [Packaging]
- Page 3 [Temperatures, Cooling and Noise]
- Page 4 [Bundled Software]
- Page 5 [BIOS]
- Page 6 [Keyboard and Screen]
- Page 7 [Accessory Port Layout and Upgrading]
- Page 8 [Testing Methodology]
- Page 9 [CPU and Memory Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [System Benchmarks]
- Page 11 [Power Consumption and Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- We are looking for a professional YouTuber for video content
- Digitize Photos, Important Files, and More in 8 Seconds
- We are looking for a US-based news reporter, join our awesome team!
- How Fallout 4's perk system might work
- The fully-optioned Tesla Model X electric SUV costs a huge $143,750
- Seagate Backup Plus STDA4000100 4TB External Portable HDD Review
- GA-Z97X Gaming 7 + Samsung SM951 256 gb
- SanDisk Connect Stick 64GB Wireless Flash Drive Review
- GA-EP45-UD3R doesn't boot with Dual Channel (After Clean PC)
- carvedilol 3.125 mg information. Purchase online.
- SEAGATE DELIVERS INDUSTRY'S BROADEST PORTFOLIO OF 8TB HARD DRIVES
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015