With the SF-2281 era grinding down and the SF3700 series late to market, companies have turned to competitor Marvell to breathe new life in the consumer SSD market. We first tested the new Marvell 88SS9189 in the Crucial M550 just weeks ago, now it's ADATA's turn to show the world what they can do with the new controller.
Unlike LSI SandForce, Marvell leaves final firmware development to the companies selling the final product. That fact, paired with the different types of flash on the market, means we see larger differences between Marvell based SSDs than we do from LSI SandForce based drives.
Specifications, Pricing and Availability
The ADATA Premier Pro SP920 pairs the Marvell 88SS9189 controller with Micron 20nm 128Gb die size flash in all four capacity sizes. This works out well for the two largest capacity sizes, 1TB and 512GB, but the smaller two models, 128GB and 256GB, are slower due to the loss in parallelism when reading and writing to the flash. We'll talk about this more in the SP920 128GB review that will follow this review.
ADATA sent pricing over via MSRPs for the Premier Pro SP920 series. The 128GB should launch at $89.99, 256GB at $159.99, 512GB at $334.88, and the massive 1TB model at $529.99.
The SP920 1TB is the same price as the Crucial M550 1TB at Newegg at the time of writing. These two drives are very similar in construction, warranty (3-years), and performance. In the years before the Samsung 840, ADATA was always a value leader with products that ran with the best in both performance and price. Now that the market has shifted and the fab companies are getting aggressive, it will be interesting to see how ADATA competes as a flash customer SSD manufacturer.
With a drive that is nearly identical to the M550, ADATA needed to deliver in other areas, and that is what they did. The SP920 includes a nice accessory package, an area where Crucial's M550 falls short. The SP920 includes a desktop adapter bracket, Acronis data migration software to clone your existing drive, and ADATA even developed a SSD toolkit.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction & Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 2 [ADATA Premier Pro SP920 1TB SSD]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage (Drives with Data Testing)]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - PCMark 8 Advanced Tests]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - DiskBench]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Power Testing & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- NASA publishes a stunning 4K video of the Space Station
- Google's total cost to manufacture the Pixel XL is $285
- Tesla reports a profit for the first time in three years
- Jump into programming with 4 top Java courses
- Apple delays AirPods, says they 'aren't ready'
- Getting a DK-04 3D Model
- Lenovo Ideapad Y900-17ISK Gaming Notebook Review
- How to upgrade front I/O Panel for V2100 to USB 3.0 or even 3.1
- Not able to adjust timings!
- Battlefield 1 PC Performance and Quality Report
- G.Skill announces the RIPJAWS KM570 MX mechanical keyboard
- iBuyPower announces the Slate gaming desktop
- Fujitsu and Lenovo to explore global strategic PC cooperation
- Toshiba's SAS SSDs provide secure storage for NetApp FAS and E-Series arrays for enterprise applications
- Simplygon enables future of virtual development with open access to software