Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts
This is a really interesting board to talk about when it comes to our overall thoughts of it. Coming in at $104.99 at the time of writing, the ASRock Fatal1ty H87 Performance is really just an awesomely priced motherboard that offers some great performance for the price. Out of the box performance for the most part is pretty typical, it lags sometimes compared to the Z87 offerings, but at this price point, we really can't complain.
What makes the board for us is the fact that we're able to get 4.9GHz out of our 4770K CPU at this price point. Of course, the general feature set is good, the color scheme is also nice for a board at this price point. But the excellent out of the box overclocking performance at this price point is what makes the board really shine for us.
The issue is that in June, Intel issued a statement saying they intended to lock down the ability to use multiplier overclocking on the chipset. Remove the ability to get 4.9GHz from the board and we end up with a model that instead of offering amazing value for money, instead just offers good value for money.
If the removal of this feature is done via a BIOS update, then we could simply just choose to not update the BIOS and we would continue to have the feature. The other option could be a "stability update" through Windows Update. Again if ignored, you could simply continue to have this feature. If you're going to be overclocking, we for the most part feel that you're going to be more comfortable with what's going on. Because of that, we feel that we can score the board based on the fact that it's $104.99 and offers fantastic overclocking features.
If you're able to dodge the update that will lock down the multiplier changing ability (if it even comes out from Intel) and want a system with just one video card, this is ultimately an awesome motherboard. Its performance out of the box is strong and becomes even better when overclocking is thrown into the mix. The overall look of the board is strong and a strong feature set which includes Intel Gigabit networking, plenty of SATA III ports and some Fatalit1y specific feature make for an outstanding board at $104.99.
This is a board we wouldn't hesitate in recommending. We would always feel the need to warn people, though, that you could lose these overclocking abilities if you're not paying too much attention to your updates. As of now, though, we're able to enjoy some great overclocking at a fantastic price point with this product from ASRock.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Blompkamp's 'Alien' sequel won't 'see the light of day'
- First look at how Musk's underground tunnels might work
- Overwatch is now home to over 30 million gamers
- Nintendo sold 2.3 million NES Mini consoles
- Nintendo forecasts 10 million Switch sales this year
- G1 Sniper 2 rev 1.0 wont boot with GtX 1070
- H97M Pro4 - Machine comes out of sleep mode when deactivated but monitor does not
- ASUS USB-AC53 Nano AC1200 Wireless Adapter Review
- GIGABYTE Xtreme Gaming XTC700 CPU Cooler Review
- ASRock 990fx Extreme9 and NVMe support
- Get ready for Intel Optane memory with ASRock 200 series motherboards!
- Acer unleashes the Predator Triton 700, a thin yet powerful gaming notebook without compromise
- Acer's new Predator monitors with quantum dot technology deliver spectacular gameplay experiences
- Acer expands its gaming notebook line with the powerful Predator Helios 300
- Western Digital ships fourth-generation Helium Hard Drive platform with Ultrastar He12 12TB advanced storage hard drives