Bapco MobileMark 2012 1.5
Version and / or Patch Used: 2012 1.5
Developer Homepage: http://www.bapco.com
Test Homepage: http://www.bapco.com
MobileMark 2012 1.5 is an application-based benchmark that reflects usage patterns of business users in the areas of office productivity, media creation and media consumption. Unlike benchmarks that only measure battery life, MobileMark 2012 measures battery life and performance simultaneously, showing how well a system design addresses the inherent tradeoffs between performance and power management.
We want to run the notebook battery life test again next week when a new battery arrives. Normally we replace the batter the moment the battery health meter reaches 2% from full health. We always use a 100% or 99% health battery, but I let the battery drain while in Korea and that damaged the cells.
What we did find in this test though is the difference between 840 EVO without RAPID and with RAPID. In the 250GB review the battery times were nearly identical, but with this larger EVO drive, RAPID pulled more power in our test.
PCMark Vantage HDD Test - Power Draw
This is an interesting chart from our power data logger. On the far left side we see the 840 EVO in two different states. The 840 EVO test (in green) show a high power moment before the test actually starts. This is a garbage collection state where background activity is happening. The 840 EVO with RAPID enabled (purple) shows an idle state going into the test.
When we test the same amount of time passes between each test, its clockwork and if interrupted we have to secure erase the drive and start over. What the power trace tells us is that RAPID may absorb random data writes, but sends them to the SSD as sequential data. When sequential data is written to the SSD, the garbage collection doesn't need to work as hard and that lowers write amplification.
Thermal Test - BETA
The 840 EVO 750GB uses a larger PCB than the 250GB model. We measured the controller at over 80C with the 250GB drive in our load test, but the larger capacity drive managed to keep the temperature under 80C. Copper is a good conductor of heat and PCBs are made of copper. The increased surface area means the heat can move away from the controller and has more area to dissipate.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [Samsung 840 EVO 750GB SSD]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage - Drives with Data Testing]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - PCMark 8 Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - DiskBench]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Power and Thermal Testing]
- Page 14 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Microsoft begins Xbox One S deals, includes Gold access
- Windows 10 VR paving way for Project Scorpio VR gaming
- Microsoft announces $299 VR headset for Windows 10
- World of Warcraft Patch 7.1 is now live
- New Surface Studio AiO rocks GTX 980M, 4.5K display
- Battlefield 1 PC Performance and Quality Report
- Battlefield 1: War Stories Review
- GIGABYTE Z170X-UD3 Ultra Motherboard Review
- Micro SDXC card Strontium vs Sandisk vs Samsung
- MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Gaming X 4G Review
- Toshiba's SAS SSDs provide secure storage for NetApp FAS and E-Series arrays for enterprise applications
- Simplygon enables future of virtual development with open access to software
- Lenovo debuts commercial desktops and notebooks featuring 7th generation AMD PRO processors
- BIOSTAR unveils its GeForce GTX 1060 dual-fan video cards
- Manli announces GeForce GTX 1050 Gallardo Series video cards