Back in May, we looked at the 2013 version of the Corsair Neutron in both 128GB and 256GB capacity sizes. The original Neutron when released around this time a year ago shipped with 25nm ONFi flash from IMFT. For the most part, 25nm flash is now extinct and Corsair was forced to move production to a new process. With IMFT 20nm in short supply, Corsair moved to new 22nm SK Hynix flash. The move proved to be a good one; the 2013 edition is considerably faster than the original Neutron.
In similar fashion, 24nm Toggle flash from Toshiba / SanDisk is long gone as well - they are now at 19nm Toggle and even multiple generations in. Corsair's flagship SSD, Neutron GTX originally started out with 24nm, but as of a couple months ago started shipping with new 19nm Toggle. Unlike IMFT's 25nm to 20nm shrink, the Flash Forward process shrink had little or no ill effects on performance. The new 19nm flash appears to be just as fast in most final product capacity sizes.
Today we're looking at Neutron GTX in all three-capacity sizes - 120GB, 240GB and 480GB. The new drives use the same overprovisioning unlike the base Neutron's, so spotting the new revision is more difficult. We did find an easy way without voiding the warranty and will show you how today as well.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [Corsair Neutron GTX 2013 Edition Drives]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.